• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grains, starch - good for feeding the poor and not much else?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Yeah, it sure is sweet to live in the developed world Not like those starch eating poors
seriously, right?
Originally Posted by em36
You might want to consult your physician first, or, enjoy your gout.
Yeah I have to watch out for that. Dinner: Steak. Wine. Done.
frown.gif
Edit: luckily, I do eat enough fruits, veggies, legumes, nuts and yes grains to prevent that.
Originally Posted by dcg
Nothing wrong with not eating them either, which is all that's really being said. Quinoa and oats both have their share of benefits.
Yeah compared to other cereals (which quinoa is not), sure, but combined together, they make up less than 1/10th of a percent of total cereals productions - and most of oats are used for livestock feeding anyway, if i am not mistaken.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
A good risotto is hard to beat...

By the way, don't get me wrong, every once in a while I have a craving for rice, pasta, etc. Especially something good like a proper risotto or a real carbonara (none of that heavy creamed ****) or some good potatoes.

Just really not necessary, technically..

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little off topic, but here is last night's decision-making process: Hmmm... I feel like a treat.. Should I have some cake, ice cream, some pudding perhaps?

And what did I get? A bottle of wine. Duh.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur

Edit: luckily, I do eat enough fruits, veggies, legumes, nuts and yes grains to prevent that.

Legumes are a problem for gout. . . purine content. That is a major reason why I say beans are not a best choice.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah if i could afford to i would cut those foods down heaps.

at the moment though, i pretty much live off peanut butter sandwiches and potatoes...

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't do it. I love rice/bread/pasta way too much. I don't have to eat 'em every day, but at least every other day.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like what a bowl of fruit in oatmeal + a protein shake in the morning does for my energy level for the next 5 hours, or wheat toast with eggs and a banana, vs. just the protein and the fruit. Anything to that?

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ******* love potatoes. Does that make me teh poor?
eh.gif

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Nothing wrong with not eating them either, which is all that's really being said.

_44153992_fencing_416_ap.jpg

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh carb overload from burger and fries... teh hangover, she's a *****.

lfl

Reaction score
starch, yes

but there are a multitude of nutritious grains - quinoa, buckweat, bulgur, millet, polenta, wheat germ, i could go on, but all these have a place in a balanced diet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics