• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GRAIL watch opportunity! #2

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Firstly, thank you all that helped with my last grail. Now I have found THE GRAIL that I never actually thought I would have the opportunity to purchase (1 grail every few years is OK, but 2 in a the space of 2 WEEKS).. This would involve selling my beloved Panda, but only to replace with the Mac Daddy of Panda's - we are talking from twisting your head side-ways to understand why they call it the Panda to now see it as you should. May I present you the IWC 5000 Millenium Portuguese Limited Edition
5000a.jpg
Port01.jpg
Port02.jpg
I'm sure you all would grant me permission to realise cross-eyed Panda? What does mafoofan & bmulford think? I will let fellow SF have first expressions of interest in my Panda before I put up for sale in TZ & my local dealer. Now, does the human body really only need 1 liver to function? What else do I not need.. Watch will be reserved for dressier occasions when PAM is too busty.. Here's a link to a great interview about the IWC 5000 http://www.timezone.com/library/itsa...e/itsabout0004 *Photo credits - TZ. Thank you

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a gorgeous piece and for what it's worth I say go for it!!!!

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes... swipe.... happy!!!

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I know zip about that watch but I thought the concept of a holy grail was that it was unique... i.e. you can't have more than one. That said, the watch looks fine. It looks...like a watch I guess
blush.gif
What's so special about it?

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a nice watch and would be wonderful addition to your collection, but I would have trouble convincing myself to wear that over the Panerai.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i much prefer the vertical layout of your current portu chono panda. just my .02

danyllau

Reaction score
I am trying to think what will be your opportunity #3
lol8[1].gif

And here's me thinking about cheap seiko and the portofino ...

Definately seems like a rare watches and I took a look at some of the variations, maybe the Plat One with white dials!! or maybe i just like white dials in these cleaner dressy watchs.

StockSet.jpg

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't like this Portugese. The current 7 Days with an all black face is much more attractive.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartort
i much prefer the vertical layout of your current portu chono panda. just my .02

I'd second this.

Also, PG, the TZ interview link you posted doesn't work; or at least it leads me to the wrong place.

Deipnosophist

Reaction score
I prefer the aesthetics of your current model, but the Millennium Portugese is indeed a holy grail - go for it, and let me take the other one off your hands for a very good price
smile.gif

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery
It is a nice watch and would be wonderful addition to your collection, but I would have trouble convincing myself to wear that over the Panerai.

I'm the exact opposite of this, but then I'm not a Panerai fan.

This one, however,
inlove.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I have to say, I'm not the biggest fan of the 5000. Yes, it was a limited edition watch, but that's because it was a guinea pig for a new movement that needed some quirks worked out. Moreover, there's nothing it has that the 5001 doesn't have except for a curved acrylic crystal. Mechanically, the 5001 is certainly superior. The 5001 also has applied numerals, whereas the 5000's numerals are stamped. For those reasons and more, used prices for 5000s are not as high as for 5001s.

Of course, the 5001 doesn't have the 'Panda' face (or 'owl eyes', whichever you prefer). If that, and the acrylic crystal are really important to you, then I guess it might make sense to get a 5000. But generally, I'd shoot for a 5001 instead. But then, I'm biased.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^what he said. I think the current portuguese automatics are nicer looking. but if exclusivity is more important to you, why not. but i think that the retail $10K price tag is an arbiter of exclusivity in and of itself.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Add me to the chorus of those voicing a preference for your current watch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads