• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Graduation tomorrow... 3 piece suit acceptable?

okay

Reaction score
So tomorrow is the graduation ceremony for my business school (university graduation is saturday) and I am not sure what to wear. Students aren't wearing their cap and gowns tomorrow (they are optional), but rather suits for guys and dresses for girls.. My question is: Would it be acceptable to wear a 3-piece suit? Or is that not appropriate for an academic setting?

Tomorrow is the day where we walk across the stage/get our degrees. University graduation has too many people for everyone to walk.

edit: It is in an auditorium

Thanks!

Last edited:

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends, will it be outdoors or indoors?

If outdoors, will it be super hot?

okay

Reaction score
Whoops, should have specified. It is in an auditorium.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hell yes, I wears a three pieces everytime when suits is required

When you need to ask, you are probably not cool enough.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rather late to ask surely?

What answer do you want? Wear a two or three piece suit as your prefer - there are no rules or other reasons that one is essential and the other a faux pas.

Last edited:

UncleCozy

Reaction score
Use the suit which both looks best on you and makes you feel comfortable.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hell yes, I wears a three pieces everytime when suits is required
When you need to ask, you are probably not cool enough.

+1 to the 3-piece. Its a festive mood, no one is too serious on graduation day. Had I a 3-piece on graduation day, I would have worn it

edit - what about cap and gown? woudnt it cover the suit?

okay

Reaction score
+1 to the 3-piece. Its a festive mood, no one is too serious on graduation day. Had I a 3-piece on graduation day, I would have worn it
edit - what about cap and gown? woudnt it cover the suit?
Most students are wearing formalwear to the B School ceremony and the cap and gown to the university graduation the next day.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most students are wearing formalwear to the B School ceremony and the cap and gown to the university graduation the next day.

Or in fact, I can't imagine any students not wearing smart clothes to graduation, it is like disregarding their work that had put in the degree.

Nikias

Reaction score
Graduation is your day; I don't see why you can't wear a three-piece if that pleases you. My graduation was a formal affair with everyone in suits, ties, caps and gowns and I would have worn a three-piece if I had had a nice one then most likely.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OP, wear your 3-piece and have a fun day. Congratulations! :cheers:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 62 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 119 33.4%
  • 8”

Votes: 105 29.5%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 38 10.7%
  • 9”

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.0%