• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

graduation suit

soazz

Reaction score
Hi all!

Soon it´s getting time for my graduation and in my country that means getting drunk during the day and even drunker in the night. Normally you wear a suit during this day if you are a guy, and this suit is in 90% of the times black(booooring), something I definitely won´t accept. My idea is to wear either a navy one or a light grey. Since it will be summer I would like to add a splash of color to it and my main idea right now is to combine a navy suit with some orange, something like this: https://www.grandfrank.com/sek/orange-stripe-knitted-tie?nosto=frontpage-nosto-1

I must say that I love the tie, but am a bit concerned that the orange is too much? What I could do is swap the blue shirt for a white one and the pocket square to a white with just a bit of orange around the edges...

So what do you think, is it too much? Any other ideas? An alternative I have in mind that is way less colorful is to have a brown tie and a brown pocket square with white dots combined with a navy suit and white shirt.

eagleman

Reaction score
Stay with the blue shirt. It will compliment the tie better than white. I am not a fan of brown in that context at all.

soazz

Reaction score
Ok so you don´t think the orange takes over too much?
Stay with the blue shirt. It will compliment the tie better than white. I am not a fan of brown in that context at all.

Last edited:

JRgent

Reaction score
I second eagleman's opinion on the brown. I personally don't believe the orange takes over too much - quite a nice tie.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Soon it´s getting time for my graduation and in my country that means getting drunk during the day and even drunker in the night.

If I encounter someone who's drunk - or even drunker than drunk - I'm not going to care much about the colors in his necktie. I'm going to focus on the fact that I've encountered a drunken lout, and try to ignore him while I get away.

Well, just a thought.

soazz

Reaction score

If I encounter someone who's drunk - or even drunker than drunk - I'm not going to care much about the colors in his necktie. I'm going to focus on the fact that I've encountered a drunken lout, and try to ignore him while I get away.

Well, just a thought.

Well Then lucky for me I don't drink :)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well Then lucky for me I don't drink :)

I was thrown by your statement that, "Soon it´s getting time for my graduation and in my country that means getting drunk during the day and even drunker in the night."

If you aren't going to drink, I'm not sure why you felt it necessary to mention this custom.

lildog

Reaction score
Based on your description and your link I'm guessing you're swedish like me?

If you really want to stand out as well dressed, wear something quite "conservative" like a navy suit, white shirt and a grenadine tie. Most of the guys, myself included, wore horrible "fun and flashy" ties and accessories when I graduated and we looked like a set of clowns.

But I'd also say don't overthink your graduation outfit, just enjoy the day

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads