• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Graduating, no job, what the hell do I do now?

pokey07

Reaction score
I'll be graduating in 2 months, and I've been job searching for 4. So far its gotten me nowhere, and as of right now it seems that my Economics degree is going to be put to waste. I'm looking for guidance and advice in any place I can get it, so help a brotha out!

ms244

Reaction score
Graduate school.

teacha.gif

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figure we're so cash strapped that we won't go to any wars for the next few years, so the military may be the route you should consider. If you're still worried, pick something like the coast guard or the navy. You never really here about the US using ships to fight each other. After a couple of years, apply to grad school and then you can hopefully be in a better environment. Good luck.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unless you're graduating from an Ivy League school, you will never get anywhere.

On a serious note: grad. school in this environment is a waste of money. Unless you want to get an econ PhD (which means funding), don't get a graduate degree, especially not a JD or MBA.

pokey07

Reaction score
I've definitely thought about it, but I'm not sure what to go for, therefore I'm holding off on that. I definitely can't go for a Master's in Economics because my math background is too shallow for a graduate program. I've thought about Law School since Freshmen Year, but I'm deathly afraid of taking the plunge. All the stories I hear about lawyers and high depression rates, high divorce rates, alcholism, etc. have made me reluctant to take that path.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07
I've definitely thought about it, but I'm not sure what to go for, therefore I'm holding off on that. I definitely can't go for a Master's in Economics because my math background is too shallow for a graduate program. I've thought about Law School since Freshmen Year, but I'm deathly afraid of taking the plunge. All the stories I hear about lawyers and high depression rates, high divorce rates, alcholism, etc. have made me reluctant to take that path.
The ~$125,000 in debt is the scariest part IMO.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no chance for an internship? even if unpaid you need that experience.

Find one through your college career center for the next few months that can turn into a job offer.

Do you have ANY job experience? I say go work at the mall and get some sales experience as that can get you in some places.

Aperipan

Reaction score
If I were in your position, I would go for a post-bachelor internship in your areas of expertise, such as working for a non-prof dealing with health or construction economics. This is the only way to boost up your resume for a job, but alas, it's not paid and you probably need money for housing. It's a catch 22 but you have to start somewhere.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Economics degree? Good lord. Go to something like APEX Tech and learn how to fix cars. People are not buying/leasing as many new cars and it's a skill that will get you a job immediately. When the economy gets back on it's feet, go back to school and get an MBA or something, unless you want to teach. By that time you might have your own repair shop and not give a **** about Economics.

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
no chance for an internship? even if unpaid you need that experience.

Find one through your college career center for the next few months that can turn into a job offer.

Do you have ANY job experience? I say go work at the mall and get some sales experience as that can get you in some places.

I worked up until college, had a full-time job for a little during college, and 2 internships.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07
I worked up until college, had a full-time job for a little during college, and 2 internships.

have you applied at your 2 internships yet?

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aperipan
If I were in your position, I would go for a post-bachelor internship in your areas of expertise, such as working for a non-prof dealing with health or construction economics. This is the only way to boost up your resume for a job, but alas, it's not paid and you probably need money for housing. It's a catch 22 but you have to start somewhere.

I 've actually been thinking of doing AmeriCorps for a year

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads