• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Graduating College in Two Months, What do I Wear to Interviews?

thirdseventh

Reaction score
Hello,

I will be graduating college in about two months and am practically clueless as to what to wear. I'll be applying for jobs at engineering firms but my field of study is broad so I could end up working in mostly any industry.

Is the black suit with a tie an interview staple? I prefer a navy suit but I don't know if this is too informal. The only pair of "nice" shoes I own are a pair of Allen Edmonds Strand's in walnut but I feel that these are a little too flashy for an interview. Can someone recommend me some footwear to go with my suit assuming the suit is the standard of interviews?

Thank you.

nautikal

Reaction score
By black I assume you mean charcoal. True black is reserved for formal occasions and funerals.

Navy, charcoal, or a medium/dark grey suit is what you want to wear, and I would stay away from any flashy patterns (e.g., pinstripes and plaids). If you're applying to engineering firms I wouldn't be too concerned though. Most of the engineering guys I knew in college barely even knew what a suit was.

Allen Edmonds Park Avenues are a good conservative shoe for interviews as well.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would a pair of dark brown Park Avenues work nicely with a navy suit? 

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF270_1_40000000001_-1

Navy and brown look great together. Black shoes are a bit more conservative and are probably a better choice for an interview, though. If brown is all you have, I wouldn't worry about getting a new pair. If you're looking to buy a pair vs. showing us one you already have, I'd go with black. Opinions on black shoes differ around here, but I think if you are going to have one pair of black shoes, they should be in a conservative style like the Park Avenue.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello,

I will be graduating college in about two months and am practically clueless as to what to wear. I'll be applying for jobs at engineering firms but my field of study is broad so I could end up working in mostly any industry.

Is the black suit with a tie an interview staple? I prefer a navy suit but I don't know if this is too informal. The only pair of "nice" shoes I own are a pair of Allen Edmonds Strand's in walnut but I feel that these are a little too flashy for an interview. Can someone recommend me some footwear to go with my suit assuming the suit is the standard of interviews?

Thank you.

This is what I recommend:

• Suit: Well-fitting solid navy or charcoal two piece suit with notch lapels. Mid grey can also work. Black is not ideal. -- I go with navy.
  • Shirt: Solid white spread color dress shirt with barrel/button cuffs. Light blue could also work, but white is better IMO.
  • Socks: Solid socks that match your suit color.
  • Tie: Others might have a stronger/more knowledgable opinion about ties, but I'd choose something conservative with navy, burgundy, or a shade of grey as the main color, such as a solid, pin dot, or repp stripe -- I wear something like this.
  • Pocket square: No pocket square, even though you'll look better with one. If you must, solid white linen in a TV/presidential fold.
  • Shoes: Non-SF people care so little about shoes in my experience that as a minimum I'd just say something conservative (not AE strands), ideally in black, but possibly dark brown (if navy suit) or burgundy (if charcoal suit) if you want -- I go with black AE PAs.
  • Belt: Simple leather belt that matches your shoe color.

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trench coat, bucket nekkid. I guarantee you'll get the job or you can come work for me.

thirdseventh

Reaction score
Trench coat, bucket nekkid. I guarantee you'll get the job or you can come work for me.
Given what I hear about the current state of the job market that may have to be an option.

Seriously though, thank you everyone for your advice, I now have the task of finding a well fitting suit...any suggestions regarding material or brand etc.?

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Given what I hear about the current state of the job market that may have to be an option.

Seriously though, thank you everyone for your advice, I now have the task of finding a well fitting suit...any suggestions regarding material or brand etc.?

Do you have an idea of how much you want to spend?

thirdseventh

Reaction score
Do you have an idea of how much you want to spend?
I don't really have a specific budget in mind because I've never actually purchased a suit, so recommendations for any price range will be helpful (although realistically I'm probably in the mid price tier category).

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Approximate location and measurements, please?

jhwendland

Reaction score
I made a thread on this exact subject and was crucified.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads