1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Grad School Thread

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Teger, Mar 22, 2011.

1. fftfft

fftfft Well-Known Member

Often there are good fellowships and string-free funding for the first year or two in a lot of programs. I've seen stipends as high as 30k/9 months. Some defense fellowships (with awful summer/post-graduation employment requirements and clawbacks if you don't graduate) offer over 40k. For regular TA/GSR funding, I've never seen it break 20k. This is in computer science.

2. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

Often there are good fellowships and string-free funding for the first year or two in a lot of programs. I've seen stipends as high as 30k/9 months. Some defense fellowships (with awful summer/post-graduation employment requirements and clawbacks if you don't graduate) offer over 40k. For regular TA/GSR funding, I've never seen it break 20k. This is in computer science.
    well there are assistanceships and fellowships. you can get both, neither, or one or the other. assitanceships always involve some sort of work, while fellowships are 'no strings attached.' of course there's the lack of teaching experience downside to a fellowship. but yea, after my first year im gonna try to grab onto some of the additional funding out there.

3. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

There's always the NSF fellowship.

4. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

i take some solace in the fact that all humanities students are equally underfunded. the thing is, if you think about it, it's an amazing deal for universities. if im teaching 2 classes a semester, they'd normally have to pay someone $6k a class to teach that.. they pay me almost nothing.

That's exactly the reason they take in as many students as they do, despite there not really being any market for them after graduation. It's cheap labor. Not restricted to the humanities either, abuses are just as bad in the sciences although with a different focus.

5. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

That's exactly the reason they take in as many students as they do, despite there not really being any market for them after graduation. It's cheap labor. Not restricted to the humanities either, abuses are just as bad in the sciences although with a different focus.

Of course. Although a lot of programs have been cutting back, just because the market is so bad. Even though graduate programs are without a doubt evil exploitative scams, they seem to have some conscience.

Ironically this comes during a time when applications are up 50% everywhere..

6. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

a few years ago there was an error in the admissions department at UCSD where the automated response system sent something along the lines of 1000 acceptance emails out by mistake...

also, i don't know how you'll be able to get nsf fellowship for english or history but there are certainly other sources. a lot of people don't realize it but there's always someone willing to give you money.

7. Levator Superioris

Levator Superioris Well-Known Member

NSF is the National Science Foundation sir... I wouldn't go to grad school in a non-high payout field (aka MBA, JD, MD) there is just way too much debt. I first graduated with 37K and my first year made nearly 2K in interest payments alone. Calculate your monthly payment around 75K should work out to be ~500 a month for 30 years. Also keep in mind salaries have not really increased in the last decade or so....

8. Joenobody0

NSF is the National Science Foundation sir... I wouldn't go to grad school in a non-high payout field (aka MBA, JD, MD) there is just way too much debt. I first graduated with 37K and my first year made nearly 2K in interest payments alone. Calculate your monthly payment around 75K should work out to be ~500 a month for 30 years. Also keep in mind salaries have not really increased in the last decade or so....

I posted after a person talking about doing a CS PhD.

9. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

The only federally funded fellowship for the humanities is Javits. NSF and NIH don't fund the humanities.

10. JonHecht

JonHecht Well-Known Member

Eh, might as well.

I just turned down a research Fulbright and accepted a funded offer to a solid MA program in philosophy. Hope it was the right choice.

11. Joenobody0

The only federally funded fellowship for the humanities is Javits. NSF and NIH don't fund the humanities.

I posted after a person talking about doing a CS PhD.
    [​IMG]

12. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

Eh, might as well.

I just turned down a research Fulbright and accepted a funded offer to a solid MA program in philosophy. Hope it was the right choice.

[​IMG] philosophy, making english look like accounting

13. bslo

bslo Well-Known Member

Eh, might as well.

Your philosophy studies will give you something to mull over while you're serving coffee at the local coffee shop. [​IMG]

Seriously, I don't think the MA will do much for your employment prospects. If you're interested in academia, you should think very, very, very carefully before you try to get a Ph.D, assuming you're not a minority. The job market is terrible.

14. JonHecht

JonHecht Well-Known Member

I'm planning on pursuing a PhD, market be damned. My wife will do the real work. Of course, I won't go unless I get into a top 15. I think I might have a solid chance, as I will hopefully have an article forthcoming in the top journal in my specialty soon (on second R&R and all the editor wants me to do is clean up the footnotes a bit and convert citations to house style). Unfortunately, the journal is technically a polisci journal so it has more name recognition in that field. Maybe I'll apply to a few programs there.

I'm probably just deluding myself, it's so competitive. But so is everything else, so why not.

Maybe I'll apply to be a foreign service officer; why not follow one improbable life goal with another?

15. vthustle

vthustle Well-Known Member

Teger, as someone who has been at VT for 5 years (and about to graduate, sadly), I can pretty safely say that the alumni base is spread out pretty wide across the state of Virginia. Granted, I'm in a completely different field, so I don't know what that means for someone like you, but I would imagine it's not as bleak as you think in terms of networking opportunities.

Plus, beyond the funding you'd get from Tech, Blacksburg is dirt cheap to begin with, and still a really fun place to live when you find a solid group of friends.

Anyway, feel free to pm me with any questions about VT, or even networking opportunities in Richmond (I was born and raised there, so I have a fair amount of connections in the area).

16. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Teger, as someone who has been at VT for 5 years (and about to graduate, sadly), I can pretty safely say that the alumni base is spread out pretty wide across the state of Virginia.
    Geez, VT alums are not just in Virginia. [​IMG]

17. vthustle

vthustle Well-Known Member

Yes, I know that, but Teger mentioned staying in Virginia to be closer to family.

18. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Yes, I know that, but Teger mentioned staying in Virginia to be closer to family.
    Ok, now I get what you're saying. VT is a good place.

19. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

got into VCU with funding for the history MA. probably gonna have to take it.

20. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member