• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gq's furniture thread. again...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I apologize for yet another furniture thread, but I need to go through my choices and I like to bounce ideas off of people that have good taste. I'll keep the rest of them in this thread.

I'm doing a bit of a 180 on the bedroom and thinking maybe a very minimalist canopy bed could be really cool. I'd want something with dark wood, straight lines, and most likely with a headboard but no footboard. I really like the idea of a canopy bed made of dark wood with white sheets, white curtains, etc.

Unfortunately, canopies seem difficult to find in a contemporary style. And even when I find a half-decent bed, the accompanying nightstands, dressers and armoires I've seen never really do it for me. I'm considering finding a local woodworker and having him make me exactly what I want. It probably wouldn't be any more expensive than some of the beds i'm already looking at.

Or I could also do something like in the following pic, a leather upholstered bed surrounded by walls of curtains. Imagine instead of the table and chairs that you have white french doors opening on to a bed surrounded by curtains hung from the ceiling. My ceilings aren't as high as the ones in Hotel St. Paul, but they're pretty high.

Btw, here are some other pics that are similar to furniture i've picked so far that will be in the adjacent room. The only thing that's exactly the same is the loveseat, however.

Quite a close match to my table in its extended form:

I got 4 in red, 2 in brown, although they're not exactly the same

Thoughts?

wilson brother

Reaction score
Hey GQ-

Maybe I can recommend something..it would be good to decorate your apartment with things that a woman would find comfortable and attractive in case you get serious with a girl
blush.gif
. Since not so many females are on this forum this might not receive this advice here
teacha.gif

-Danny Wilson

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wilson brother
Hey GQ-

Maybe I can recommend something..it would be good to decorate your apartment with things that a woman would find comfortable and attractive in case you get serious with a girl
blush.gif
. Since not so many females are on this forum this might not receive this advice here
teacha.gif

-Danny Wilson

GQ, this is actually good advice IMO. You are single and it is, by definition, a bachelor pad, but you should watch out that the furniture that you pick does not become overly masculine.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
GQ, this is actually good advice IMO. You are single and it is, by definition, a bachelor pad, but you should watch out that the furniture that you pick does not become overly masculine.

What if I painted a wall pink to compensate? I love pink...

Seriously though, I think canopy beds are generally a big hit with women, no? Especially with a huge pillowtop mattress, goose down comforter & pillows, and very fine white egyptian cotton sheets. Do you find the two pics from hotel st. paul too masculine?

wilson brother

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek

Hey GQ-

I wasnt talking about girls who still play with dolls
plain.gif
..unless you are
laugh.gif

(Joking man!!

-Danny Wilson

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wilson brother
Hey GQ-

I wasnt talking about girls who still play with dolls
plain.gif
..unless you are
laugh.gif

(Joking man!!

-Danny Wilson

Well, I do have a penchant for younger girls, but not quite that young :p

Of course, if you were following the thread on japanese girls.....

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Seriously though, I think canopy beds are generally a big hit with women, no? Especially with a huge pillowtop mattress, goose down comforter & pillows, and very fine white egyptian cotton sheets. Do you find the two pics from hotel st. paul too masculine?

No, they look nice to me. I would only be wary of having too much dark wood or too much dark leather. I personally do not like canopy beds as I prefer to sleep very low to the ground, but it will mix in nicely to give good contrast with the rest. As far as girls and beds, I think that if you have them that far, they have probably already made up their mind
devil.gif

wilson brother

Reaction score
Well, I do have a penchant for younger girls, but not quite that young :p

Of course, if you were following the thread on japanese girls.....

wow.gif
-I meant unless you are playing with dolls..

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
A canopy bed runs the risk of being seen as "too much," don't you think? A bit self-conciously Casanova, perhaps. I'd choose carefully.

I'd be interested to hear other opinions on this. However everything I do is "too much" to most people my age. I mean the bespoke clothes, the shoes, the furniture, the fancy restaurants, etc. Most girls that know me already have a very clear understanding that i'm big on luxury and self-indulgence. It hasn't been a negative yet, but you do raise an interesting question.

For the record, my choices are made to please nobody but myself. I'm not thinking in the back of my mind "what's the ultimate look for my place to get chicks in to bed?" Having said that, I always think it's a good idea to get others' opinions which is where you guys come in.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear other opinions on this. However everything I do is "too much" to most people my age. I mean the bespoke clothes, the shoes, the furniture, the fancy restaurants, etc. Most girls that know me already have a very clear understanding that i'm big on luxury and self-indulgence. It hasn't been a negative yet, but you do raise an interesting question.

The potential difference here, I think, is that canopy beds are usually considered femine. The bespoke clothes and fine restaurants are a lifestyle choice. But bringing a woman back to a canopy bed might be seen as a bit calculated -- like all the other stuff was a seduction ploy, even when it wasn't.

But like you say, you just have to please yourself. Just something to consider.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The potential difference here, I think, is that canopy beds are usually considered femine. The bespoke clothes and fine restaurants are a lifestyle choice. But bringing a woman back to a canopy bed might be seen as a bit calculated -- like all the other stuff was a seduction ploy, even when it wasn't.

But like you say, you just have to please yourself. Just something to consider.

It is all about the right one. I can't speak for other women, but my wife loves our low bed as it feels a bit like rolling around on the ground. I have seen one canopy that I thought was nice, but it is still a touch feminine. It is made by Zanotta and called Millenuits. Their other beds are nicer imo.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Not to be too sleazy, but if we are talking furniture for a bachelor pad (i.e., bringing girls back), I'd say the couch is the most important consideration, and that leather one looks very cold.

Also, many girls (college girls propagandized by PETA) don't dig leather too much, though most excuse some if it's not rubbed in their face.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics