• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GQ Genuine Advice or Brand Whore?

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Does anyone here read GQ? I recently subscribed to update my quasi-emo wardrobe from high school to university. At $20 for a year am I getting ripped off? They seem to push Band of Outsiders (thx Brian) a lot but they aren't as sold out as other websites (*cough* Askmen). I was looking through their articles and this one caught my attention. I think I'll gradually start working my way to these items:
00007f.jpg
00009f.jpg

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have some good articles and pictorials from time to time, but it’s very trendy and I definitely wouldn't use it as a fashion bible. That's what SF is for.
smile.gif

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Band of Brothers is a phenomenal HBO miniseries about WWII. Band of Outsiders is a clothing label. GQ is OK as as source of ideas and maybe the most general of rules, just don't take any of it as gospel. They are pushing whatever they're advertisers are pushing.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GQ was my first resource when I started looking into revamping my appearance. Like the others have said, it's good for some inspiration or to see the current trend. After getting tired of seeing the same pictures and articles, I found my way here. This place is much more informative than GQ will ever be. Not to say that the subscription would be a waste, but I wouldn't expect too much. Besides, they do have some good articles unrelated to clothing.

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Actually, the real reason I subscribed was because I want to make my apartment a little more sophisticated looking so I bought a couple of architecture magazines (of course, full of photos) and GQ.

EdenResident

Reaction score
Having a couple GQ mags lying around in your room or your car is always a hit with the chicks. They'll think you have awesome style.

Musketer

Reaction score
Well, the latest British issue full of ****** advices...

"Once again Burton has it all".

In about 30 pages they advertise Burton.

mmhollis

Reaction score
I really used to like GQ, but the quality of their articles seems to be in decline. They do, however, have at least one or two gems each article. But unfortunately, it seems like they are getting more and more cues from Maxim.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
OK as as source of ideas and maybe the most general of rules, just don't take any of it as gospel.

but then same goes for SF, in that regard GQ and SF can be both equally reliable/unreliable so filter as needed

personally I like getting the newest GQ/Details for all the purty pichers

DerekH

Reaction score
I mainly buy any magazine be it GQ, Esquire, Harry Rosen just for the pictures and advertisements. I just enjoy looking at what the designers are putting together.

Some of their articles that aren't clothing related are kind of cool so its good value to me.

82-Greg

Reaction score
I subscribed a couple of years ago to assist in upgrading my wardrobe. I have found it rather remarkably unreliable:

* It routinely confuses articles with advertising,
* It is focused very much on the 20's something crowd (not my age set),
* It is focused very much on fashion trends vs style (I try to focus on style),
* Tends to focus on very high priced articles (which admittedly are usually available at deep discounts somewhere at sometime),
* It is very focused on urban life--particularly New York (I live and work in the suburbs).

Outside of the Style Guy--mentioned above--I find it rather unhelpful. I intend to let my subscription lapse. None of the other magazines seems to hold much interest for me as either knock-offs or again focused on the wrong market segment.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
I've had a subscription since high school. I prefer the immediate feedback and researchability of forums like this, but until Al Gore invented the Internet, GQ was all a lot of guys had. Now, like the Net, I take what I can use and disregard the rest.

Are they whores? Probably. I don't think many magazines can turn a profit on subscription income and news stand sales, and it would make sense that they feature companies who spend a certain amount buying ad pages.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
but then same goes for SF, in that regard GQ and SF can be both equally reliable/unreliable so filter as needed

personally I like getting the newest GQ/Details for all the purty pichers

Yeah, absolutely. It's probably even easier to swallow the SF kool-aid.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
magazine can be a great source of inspiration, sometimes the imagination well can run dry and you are stuck wearing jeans and tees for weeks on end. you just need to be able to discriminate between what is good and classy vs what is an apparent paid advertisement or jumping on a very short-lived trend. If you find yourself liking EVERYTHING shown in the magazine, you may be in trouble as you'll always be wanting new clothes and cars and never being satisfied with what you already have.

In short, if GQ or any other magazine inspires you, then that's good. If it always leaves you wanting more, I'd say stop subscribing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads