Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

GQ Forum member's opinion on SF

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acidboy, Jul 26, 2006.

1. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Right. And again, there's nothing wrong with wanting to dress correctly for work. The recent "what do you wear on Saturday" thread really opened my eyes. Cutoff shorts and a tank top? Wow. I expected more answers along the lines of yours, JLibourel, Label King: more flashiness, more comfort, but still dressed *well.* Maybe that would be an answer to the summer doldrums that some are feeling: try something new, go more self consciously 'stylish' on the weekends, come back and discuss here. Would make for some interesting threads.

Tom

Well, I think it's partly an issue of practicality as well. Are you going to put on a bespoke sports jacket to go to baseball games or while you're lugging kids around? Do you really want the little bastards spilling ice-cream and drinks all over your $5k outfit?

I'm guessing LK's kids are all grown-up. Speaking for myself though, the only reason I still dress a bit casually is because I don't yet have a two-week rotation going on the good stuff so I have to resort to some of the old stuff. I definitely prefer to wear a jacket at all times [​IMG]

2. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

I don't have a jacket here to wear on the plane tomorrow, and I'm kind of pissed about it. I have a white safari-style unstructured cotton coat at home that my buddy forgot to send out for me. It's perfect for weekends, casual times, whatever, and has lots of pockets that are good for travel. It was 50 euros or so and fits great. I think I'm going to have a similar one made up in VN.

Tom

3. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Style is what one develops over time and may have fashion influence it from time to time. Style is not the slave of the "Rules" but makes the "Rules" work for their style.

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Oh no! I am a suit whore! Where does that leave people like myself that only wear suits recreationally [​IMG] ? Jeans and a rumpled linen shirt is practically interview-wear where I work (I have honestly been asked that question before). On the other hand, I have no real interest to follow trends, I am too busy trying to get a hold of all the things I like anyway. I am thinking of going over there to check out some of the threads but I am afraid I may be sick over my keyboard. Edit: Tom, that coat sounds interesting. I doubt I would feel comfortable in it being white and everything but in ecru or green I'd snag one up.

5. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I'm guessing LK's kids are all grown-up.
    [​IMG]

6. VMan

VMan Senior member

LK is like 19 or 20, IIRC, dude.

7. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

I'm just gonna throw this out there--the guy's got a point. How many members are here to make sure that they're always safe when they go to work, that they have the highest quality stuff, that they don't break any rules? I would guess the answer ranges between 'a lot' and 'most.' While there is nothing wrong with any of those qualities, just participating in a board with style in the name doesn't make you stylish.

Tom

But I think the key is to master the basics and the rules first before you break them. And then, break them subtly and nonchalantly, to avoid the bespoke equivalent of being a fashion victim.

8. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

If you nay-sayers think wearing John Lobbs or Edward Greens--albeit classically sytled--to an office environment in the United States "fits with the mould," then you haven't been in many corporate enviornments in the United States. The vast majority of high level executives, high level lawyers, etc., dress like crap. Not to mention the mid- and junior-level folk.

A perfectly fitting canvased-suit, a conservative pair of Lobbs, a 7 fold tie - you think this makes one look like one's gone through a "paint-by-numbers routine" of what to wear? You are mad! Classically-dressed does not mean lacking in style, and believe me, the above outfit will stand out in corporate America like you wouldn't believe. Crisp sharpness IS style, and it's very, very noticeable.

9. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

If you nay-sayers think wearing John Lobbs or Edward Greens--albeit classically sytled--to an office environment in the United States "fits with the mould," then you haven't been in many corporate enviornments in the United States. The vast majority of high level executives, high level lawyers, etc., dress like crap. Not to mention the mid- and junior-level folk.

A perfectly fitting canvased-suit, a conservative pair of Lobbs, a 7 fold tie - you think this makes one look like one's gone through a "paint-by-numbers routine" of what to wear? You are mad! Classically-dressed does not mean lacking in style, and believe me, the above outfit will stand out in corporate America like you wouldn't believe. Crisp sharpness IS style, and it's very, very noticeable.

I have to agree there - I don't remember the last time I had seen nice shoes or suit ANYWHERE. I can guarantee you that if you go to a restaurant or some function in a suit never mind a nicely put together outfit will make you stand out enormously.

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

But aesthetically, it's the same style. No one's questioning the quality of better brands, but the overall look is one and the same, albeit yours fits better.

11. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I'm guessing your LKdar wasn't turned on... [​IMG]

12. dah328

dah328 Senior member

But aesthetically, it's the same style. No one's questioning the quality of better brands, but the overall look is one and the same, albeit yours fits better.
    That's like saying the "overall look" of the Toyota MR2 is the same as that of the Porsche Boxster. All but the very most uninformed observer will immediately and instinctively recognize the superior refinement of the Porsche. As the observer becomes more and more sophisticated, he will continue to appreciate the many different ways, both subtle and otherwise, in which the Porsche is superior.

13. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

That's like saying the "overall look" of the Toyota MR2 is the same as that of the Porsche Boxster. All but the very most uninformed observer will immediately and instinctively recognize the superior refinement of the Porsche. As the observer becomes more and more sophisticated, he will continue to appreciate the many different ways, both subtle and otherwise, in which the Porsche is superior.

I'd say your analogy is more akin to a guy wearing Mens Wearhouse vs (for example) Etro. Yea, they're both suits, but yet COMPLETELY different in aesthetic. If we're using cars, I would use the analogy of a stock Ford Crown Victoria and Lincoln Towncar. The Lincoln has many more refinements, but they're both staid looking vehicles (imo).

* and I would have at least compared to a Cayman...the Boxster is kinda "eh", again imo

14. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

I'm guessing your LKdar wasn't turned on... [​IMG]

Maybe it was foiled by the false Basil Zaharoff moustache?

15. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I'm not the biggest fan of the boxster, either. My point was that even the uninformed observer will recognize that zjpj is better dressed in a well-fitted suit and EG/Lobbs even if the "aesthetic" he's chosen is in the same class as that of his coworkers. I think the best compliment I ever received on one of my business suits was that while the observer couldn't put a finger on any one detail, my suit looked noticeably better than the other suits in the room. It may have still been a business suit, but the overall look was not the same.