• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

GQ/Esquire

Superpowerless

Reaction score
After lurking here for a while, I have come to respect the opinion and style of many of the tenured SF members. So I would like to know how people feel about the advice and advertised style options in GQ and Esquire. Good? or are they just a glorified, post high school, edition of Maxim Magazine?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Superpowerless
After lurking here for a while, I have come to respect the opinion and style of many of the tenured SF members. So I would like to know how people feel about the advice and advertised style options in GQ and Esquire. Good? or are they just a glorified, post high school, edition of Maxim Magazine?

It varies widely.

I find Esquire superior to GQ, but still rather designer and trend oriented.

Superpowerless

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
It varies widely.

I find Esquire superior to GQ, but still rather designer and trend oriented.

The trendiness is what makes me suspect.. The whole "Hey X celebrity is wearing this! This is how you can pull it off too!"

Are there any widely respected men's style magazines out there not tied so closely to pop culture trends?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any widely respected men's style magazines out there not tied so closely to pop culture trends?

Men's Ex, though you have to be able to read Japanese to read any of the articles. Tbh though it's still better than any English-language style magazines even if, like me, you can't read Japanese. There's also Leon, which seems to focus on the more casual styles. Both are very much influenced by Italian style.

I would recommend The Rake, but I'm hesitant to after today's drama thread

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I generally enjoy Esquire, but much of what they have in the magazine can just be read on their website, so it's not really worth subscribing. Nick Sullivan is their fashion director, and I think he really has a great sense of style and what might make for an interesting article.

GQ is all over the place and seems to be pretty thin in substance. Details will say many things that aren't SF approved, for whatever that's worth.

Esquire put out this book called The Handbook of Style. I think it's very much worth having in the library.

edlarnold

Reaction score
I'm an Esquire man myself. Though GQ is not without its nice points. I even like Men's journal on occasion.

HHD

Reaction score
If you like the kind of classic style favoured by many on this forum, you'll learn more reading blogs like Will's A Suitable Wardrobe or Permanent Style.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I find Esquire to be much more sartorially correct and traditionally-influenced. GQ is pretty much exclusively high-fashion. Two, totally different magazines.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HHD
If you like the kind of classic style favoured by many on this forum, you'll learn more reading blogs like Will's A Suitable Wardrobe or Permanent Style.

Very true...

A continuous lean articles are also very good...

And the Rake...........

thrice

Reaction score
I buy GQ UK version from time to time. It has some nice articles and interviews allthought 50% of the magazine is advertisment.

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like both GQ's Glen O Brien and Esquire's Nick Sullivan but frequently their advice is flying in the face of what they advertise or endorse, which of course is where their $$ comes from. It's all down to the fact that classic style hasn't changed much in decades but they have to sell a a magazine every month so provoke all these stupid new trends that you MUST get NOW or risk being behind the times. Better to be behind the times IMO than jump on some of these stupid bandwagons which are often masquerading under the guise of spazzatura - an excuse to do something crap with your look!

The English versions of both seem to have much more pages on style than the US versions. I couldnt care less about their food and booze section. The Rake seems interesting but ridiculously expensive. The Esquire Style Book is pretty good.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, both magazines generally suck all year round, with the exception of about 10 pages (annually) that are actually worth looking at.

however, just picked up the two things both mags do right-- esquire black book (purple for fall); and GQ style manual. both worth the money, I thought.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is no one magazine that gives good consistent style suggestions. They become too influenced by advertisers. So my suggestion is to read what you like and just start sorting out what works for you and what doesn't. At the end of the day, you will want to do that anyway. Think of them as inspiration and don't feel the need to take them too literally.

Superpowerless

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
To me, both magazines generally suck all year round, with the exception of about 10 pages (annually) that are actually worth looking at.

however, just picked up the two things both mags do right-- esquire black book (purple for fall); and GQ style manual. both worth the money, I thought.

I picked both of these up today actually. I really enjoy Esquires "Black Book" series, since it is seasonal you don't run into as many trendy suggestions in these issues.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I usually get the "Black Book," but rarely buy the regular issues of Esquire or GQ.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's