• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GPS Question

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I buy a Tom Tom or Garmin, how do I update the maps? Are they updated automatically through the satellite or do I need to do it through a computer?

I've checked their sites but haven't been able to find an answer. Are either Mac compatible? They don't seem to have software compatibility on their sites.

lbcgav

Reaction score
Through the computer. I know Tom Tom is Mac compatible and I'd imagine so is Garmin.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lbcgav
Through the computer. I know Tom Tom is Mac compatible and I'd imagine so is Garmin.

Do you have a preference between the two?

lbcgav

Reaction score
I have a TomTom and it's worked great so far, however, the only reason I chose it was that it included maps of Europe. I've heard good things about Garmin also.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Garmin, it's great. They give you one free map update via download, then you have to buy.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TomTom has infinately better user interface and menu than Garmin. Idiots at garmin would not even include Search by zipcode featur. In order to find your detination you have to SPELL your city and then State. Now how stupid is that?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No consumer level GPS that I have heard of can update through satellite. Unless it's something like the iphone.

You basically get the original maps and you are stuck with them unless you pay or hack a new one.

I have a magellan. It's not the most awesomest device ever but it works fine. GPS is best for getting out of an unfamiliar city as fast as possible.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
TomTom has infinately better user interface and menu than Garmin. Idiots at garmin would not even include Search by zipcode featur. In order to find your detination you have to SPELL your city and then State. Now how stupid is that?

Not stupid, most people know the city of where they are going, not the zip code, especially if you are just out and want to go somewhere on the fly. I don't even know the zipcode of my girlfriend's city and it's 10 minutes away.

I think they should add zip code as a feature (if they haven't already) but is it make or break? I don't think so. You don't have to get city names correct, just the first couple letters and it finds it for you.

Our nav is perhaps one of the top 5 things I've ever purchased, has helped many times.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
No consumer level GPS that I have heard of can update through satellite. Unless it's something like the iphone.

You basically get the original maps and you are stuck with them unless you pay or hack a new one.

Are they expensive?

Originally Posted by Tarmac
I have a magellan. It's not the most awesomest device ever but it works fine. GPS is best for getting out of an unfamiliar city as fast as possible.

Are you some sort of criminal?
patch[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads