1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

GPS Advice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SamIam33, Nov 1, 2007.

1. SamIam33

SamIam33 Well-Known Member

So, this is random, but I am thinking about buying a portable GPS device as a Christmas gift, and was wondering if anyone is an expert here. I am seriously considering the TomTom XL-S, its the new one out that comes with Text-to-Speech (it also has other cool features- mapshare, help me etc). I've heard nothing but good things about it, and I really like that it has TTS to you don't have to look down to see the the road names-- it calls them out for you. Anyone have suggestions?

2. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

I'm far from a GPS geek, but I have a lot of experience with them.

Personally, I would stay with Garmin. I have the Etrex Legend which IMO is the best bang-for-buck for handheld GPS's.

3. SamIam33

Really, what do you like about your Garmin? I have used the TomTom ONE and found it very easy to use... that's why I am considering the XL-S. Does the Ertreix Legend have Text-to-Speech and mapshare??

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I have a Garmin 660 and find it to be easy to use. It actually is easier to use and faster than a built in system in one of my autos.

5. SamIam33

I have a Garmin 660 and find it to be easy to use. It actually is easier to use and faster than a built in system in one of my autos.

Yeah, I have one built in my car now, and the TomTom actually was easier to use that the in-dash one too. I was going to get the XL-S for my parents for Christmas since they don't have one built in, and I like that it has the TTS but isn't quite as expensive as some other models...

6. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Everyone says Garmin Nuvi is the best. Better mount and more legible screen in sunlight than TomTom and slightly better routing. I think some will be cheap this Black Friday. I'm shopping for a Nuvi 350 for myself.

7. refreshtea

refreshtea Member

Garmin Nuvi > Tom Tom. Used both before.

8. onion

onion Senior member

Garmin Nuvi > Tom Tom. Used both before.

Yeah, but does your Garmin have celebrity voices calling out directions?

Nothing like Mr. T yelling at you while you drive. [​IMG]

9. SamIam33

Yeah it seems like there's always debate between Garmin and TomTom, but I've read lots of good reviews about the XL-S. Homer, do you know if the Garmin 350 has text-to-speech and if so how much it runs for? Price looks good for the XL-S but I'm also waiting for some holiday deals to start...

10. javyn

javyn Senior member

Nuvi 350 can be had at walmart.com (online only) for around $350

11. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Yeah it seems like there's always debate between Garmin and TomTom, but I've read lots of good reviews about the XL-S. Homer, do you know if the Garmin 350 has text-to-speech and if so how much it runs for? Price looks good for the XL-S but I'm also waiting for some holiday deals to start...

It does have Text to Speech. Garmin model comparison here. The 350 is an older 3xx but I see no reason to get the newer one myself. http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_t..._nuvi_com.html

I know there's gonna be some GPS deals this black friday/shopping season. Also, paypal is doing a 20% cash back promotion at select retailers for paying by paypal (up to $50 back). I might look into that if an electronic retailer shows up

12. javyn

javyn Senior member

Best buy will have the Nuvi 200 for 169.99 on BF but alas, no text to speech.

13. SoulPatcher

SoulPatcher Senior member

Did anyone snag a gps on Black Friday?
    I heard some crazy deals running for the 3rd Edition TT, but I wasn't able to pick one up.

14. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

I ended up buying the Mios C320 for $149 at Radio-Shack. I considered the Tom Tom 3rd edition, but figured it would be better to pay the extra 20 dollars and get a device that was in wide-screen and capable of running text to speech.

I can't think of any cons, considering the price I paid, plus I love the thin profile and stylish design.

15. warlok1965

warlok1965 Senior member

It does have Text to Speech. Garmin model comparison here. The 350 is an older 3xx but I see no reason to get the newer one myself. http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_t..._nuvi_com.html

I know there's gonna be some GPS deals this black friday/shopping season. Also, paypal is doing a 20% cash back promotion at select retailers for paying by paypal (up to $50 back). I might look into that if an electronic retailer shows up

I'll second (or third or whatever) the Nuvi endorsement. I've owned the 350 for about a year after my business partner recommended it, and it is awesome. The text to speech function is top rate and I couldn't go back to my older non-speech device. If you can, get the next model up with a widescreen and brighter display. I used to troll bensbargains.net and slickdeals.net looking for a deal and got mine for $350 on a costco special.

16. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I'd have to say my favorite is the Tomtom 720.

Now i've never owned any other ones, so i'm far from an expert, but i am extremely satisfied with this. I especially love docking it to my computer and map-sharing. Not to mention the screen is always easy to read, day or night, even if you look at it at an angle. I think this is a pretty important feature.

Also awesome is that you can get an SD card for flash memory and put music, videos, maps, and whatnot on there. It also has bluetooth connectivity so you can use your phone through it.

A++ altogether.

P.S. on the bluetooth though, you want to check the website on this before you buy it if you plan on using the phone.... the list of mobile devices it works with is relatively selective.

17. SoulPatcher

I'd have to say my favorite is the Tomtom 720.

Now i've never owned any other ones, so i'm far from an expert, but i am extremely satisfied with this. I especially love docking it to my computer and map-sharing. Not to mention the screen is always easy to read, day or night, even if you look at it at an angle. I think this is a pretty important feature.

Also awesome is that you can get an SD card for flash memory and put music, videos, maps, and whatnot on there. It also has bluetooth connectivity so you can use your phone through it.

A++ altogether.

P.S. on the bluetooth though, you want to check the website on this before you buy it if you plan on using the phone.... the list of mobile devices it works with is relatively selective.

I've heard the 720 SD flash card is really nifty. Have you used the video feature on it? I was wondering what the quality was like when you use the TomTom software to convert a Divx/Xvid file to Mpeg-4 (the filetype of choice for the 720). Any feedback?

18. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I've heard the 720 SD flash card is really nifty. Have you used the video feature on it? I was wondering what the quality was like when you use the TomTom software to convert a Divx/Xvid file to Mpeg-4 (the filetype of choice for the 720). Any feedback?

I've haven't yet used it with a video. I've only had it for a few months and while i think it's a pretty sweet feature, when I drive it's normally on business and I'm alone, so I don't use it. The screen quality is incredible though, so i would only assume the video quality would be good too.

19. SoulPatcher

I've haven't yet used it with a video. I've only had it for a few months and while i think it's a pretty sweet feature, when I drive it's normally on business and I'm alone, so I don't use it. The screen quality is incredible though, so i would only assume the video quality would be good too.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. The GO 720 looks like it has a pretty crisp resolution.

I watched this video
    and still, the question remains - hows the video playback?

Its an extra either way, I spose. Great device for getting around.

How exactly does the phone feature work? I don't understand what the GO 720 is actually doing.

20. blantonator

blantonator Senior member

the Garmin 330 is a good unit