• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gothic lifestyle...tell me about it

desidude

Reaction score
Hi,

I am interested in learning more about the Gothic lifestyle and dating a goth female. I am in Boston, MA, any suggestions on places to hang out to meet Goth females?

Any good goth dating sites/forums?

I love Goth pictures/videos, please share if you have any!

Thanks,

Goth newbie

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GothRP2201_468x665.jpg
One warning: Don't try getting on a UK bus!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
IIRC, Concordia and Joel_Cairo are both very knowledgeable about the Boston social scene.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
teacha.gif
1. Dress in black, maybe with a splash of red...blood red. So dark.
teacha.gif
2. Wear makeup on days which don't end in "alloween".
teacha.gif
3. Listen to crappy, angry music.
teacha.gif
4. Be sad all the time.

That's about it.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you purposely trying to become goth? I thought that was just something unfortunate that just happens to kids, like cancer.

Before you commit, try pastel polo shirts and listen to some O.A.R. In my opinion, it makes for a more pleasant existance.

desidude

Reaction score
Hey,

Thanks for the quick replies, really appreciate it.

I don't necessarily intend to become Goth myself, but am really really really attracted to Goth women, i.e. tatooed, pierced, dressed like Goth, maybe not hardcore Goth.

Please keep sharing any info, pics and thoughts on the Boston social scene.

Thanks

goth newbie

v0rtex

Reaction score
No idea about Boston, but I hung around with a lot of goths growing up in the UK and dated quite a few.

As a gross generalisation, most goths are generally very nice, intelligent, middle class people who're trying on a persona, sometimes to mask severe self esteem issues and a desire for attention. They tend to be very cliquey and will often reject people who don't live the goth lifestyle (despite claims of being very open minded).

Goth girls are fun but expect a lot of drama, and trying to get someone to stop cutting themselves/taking drugs far more often than is healthy/threatening suicide is a huge mental drain and futile if the person doesn't want to stop.

It might sound like I'm being a bit down on goths, but I'm just stating what I observed from a number of years on the outskirts of that scene. Some of my best friends are (ex-)goths
smile.gif

Keep an eye out for EBM/Industrial nights in your city or goth-oriented fetish nights (as opposed to swinger-oriented ones which tend to be full of middle aged wife swappers). Also, anime events and screenings of cult goth movies like Rocky Horror or Tim Burton films. Be 100% open-minded about absolutely everything except what is perceived as "mainstream" (evil corporations herding sheep around). Learn to enjoy things for the sole reason that they're different/unique, even if they actually suck in every other way.

Be aware of the vast range of goth cliques (cyber-goth, trad-goth, etc) as they're very different in many respects and there's quite a bit of rivalry. The bigger your city the more splintered the scene will be.

PS. As I got older and wiser I realised that the cool girls I wanted to spend time with weren't the PVC-clad club divas but the toned down, semi-goth nerd girls who mostly hung out at the back of the club talking to their friends. These girls are smart, different, sane and offer most of the benefits of dating the goth club divas with few of the drawbacks.

PPS. If you have no interest in following the goth lifestyle yourself, posing as a "fetish photographer" is a surefire way to sleaze your way into god-like status in most local goth scenes and requires no qualifications...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
first thing, as with all subcultures like this, is to get into the MUSIC and not just be a poser that looks "goth"

check out:
-Christian Death (with either Rozz or Valor on vox, I prefer Rozz)
-Dead Can Dance
-Bauhaus (duh)
-Death in June
-Einstuerzende Neubauten
-London after Midnite
-45 Grave
-Sisters of Mercy-Fields of the Nephilim
-even mainsteam stuff like Siouxie, The Cure

If you don't like the music, don't bother turning goth

If you were in LA, the place to go is Bar Sinister on sat nite...they have a dress code of all black, and it's def "goth nite" even tho it's not billed as such. LOTS of hot goth-y chicks there.

Did you see Klynt and Vixen on The Amazing Race? The goth couple from Kentucky....they kicked ass, got to the final 4 I think before eliminated. They seemed like a fun couple, and cool people.

I've known a lot of goth kids over the years....most of em are smart as hell. And a hot goth chick is SERIOUSLY hot.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watch the episode of South Park where Stan becomes a goth. It'll teach you what to do.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Einstürzende Neubauten ia a seriously interesting band, much more experimental than anything else. I saw them live once and their use of intruments made of junk metal coupled with an industrial/factory setting was quite impressive.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Einstürzende Neubauten ia a seriously interesting band, much more experimental than anything else. I saw them live once and their use of intruments made of junk metal coupled with an industrial/factory setting was quite impressive.
Blixa Bargeld ++1. Also played for Nick Cave.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I was a teen back when Goth seemed to first become its own little thing. What I always thought was that it was heavily peopled (excuse the pun) by fat angry chicks. They were mainly angry at being fat and not "conventionally" beautiful. It seemed to give them a new paradigm in which they could some how claim the beauty they so loudly despised. Interesting observation IMO.

I agree though, when a goth chic is hot, she's blazing hot. I think hot Asian goth chic is about as good as it can possibly come.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads