• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got suit back form tailor, smells like smoke

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what should I do, complain until they pay to clean it?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One of the Savile Row shops I deal with would send new garments to me that smelled like cigarettes. Obviously, one of the pieceworkers (probably the jacketmaker, but I suppose could have been one of the finishers) was a chain smoker or worked next to one.

A little steam and fresh air took care of the problem. Not the ideal setup, but there are worse things in life to worry about.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would definately mention it politely.

If they are professional they will offer to make things right.

If they are snotty, get a new tailor.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As far as my own situation goes, I have more or less moved on, but not because they were snotty.  Actually, they were charmingly embarrassed by the whole thing.  But by the time I mentioned it, the opportunity to fix the problem with brute force had passed.  As I say, a day or so of hanging out was enough to dissipate any lingering side effects.  And I'm sensitive enough to nicotine that I would have noticed.

lisapop

Reaction score
One reason might, I say might, be that the garment was near tweed garments, which can give off a smokey or peat moss-like fragrance. Then ago, your tailor might just have lit up a big ol' fat Stogey and done stink up the place. If anyone complains, tell them it's due to the first reason.
Grayson

naturlaut

Reaction score
If the tailor smokes while working, chances are he is not very likely to change his habits --- if you only know smokers. My advise is, do as Mr. Concordia said while mentioning it to the tailor (politely). Of course, if you think he's not a good tailor to begin with, then this is simply an excuse to switch to another.

naturlaut

Reaction score
Most of the tailors I've met are smokers. Even though it's not a very good habit (receiving punches from smokers on the board here) I respect that artists, even great ones, are mere human beings. Leonard Bernstein used to drink heavily while rehearsal with the New York Philharmonic, so are many writers.

lisapop

Reaction score
Speaking of smokers, how irritating is it when you're wearing a good suit and you're walking behind a smoker who exhales a big cloud of nicotine-laden smoke that you can't help walking directly into? I do wish smoking in *all* public areas could be banned.
Grayson

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of smokers, how irritating is it when you're wearing a good suit and you're walking behind a smoker who exhales a big cloud of nicotine-laden smoke that you can't help walking directly into?  I do wish smoking in *all* public areas could be banned.  
Grayson
I'm that guy Grayson. Esp. on jammed packed sidewalks up and down broadway. Next time you see me, take a deep breath and exhale.

PS. I've noticed a lot of tailors smoke.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

lisapop

Reaction score
A lot of old NY tailors smoke cigars rather than cigarettes, and while I'm not a smoker, those smoking cigars generally do so out of enjoyment, as illustrated by Cigar Aficionado magazine.
Grayson

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had a violin teacher once who smoked while teaching. He'd hold the cigarette in his bow hand while demonstrating things-- and he was holding a Strad in his left.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a violin teacher once who smoked while teaching. He'd hold the cigarette in his bow hand while demonstrating things-- and he was holding a Strad in his left.
Try explaining to the restorer just HOW you got a burn mark onto a Strad, I'm sure he will just be overjoyed
sarcasm.gif
. Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads