• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GOT SQUARE SHOULDERS?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the first diagram shows the changes a custom tailor makes on his drafting system to accommodate the square shoulders.
the made to measure change would be made on the cutting table.
see how the gorge is dropped. today the lapel notch rides high. if the gorge were not dropped the notch would be on top of the shoulder.

in ready to wear, the alteration is done to match those changes made on the pattern.
plus the collar usually must be shortened.
in altering, the gorge is not dropped. because the cost in labor would be horrendous.

Last edited:

Xenon

Reaction score
Good info thanks.

Let's say someone has sqaure shoulders but also has a prominent pectoral area. Is the front left unaltered for allowance. Or is it better to create allowance using excess elsewhere, like around the arm openning?

What about square shoulders with prominent shoulder blades?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Good info thanks.
Let's say someone has sqaure shoulders but also has a prominent pectoral area. Is the front left unaltered for allowance. Or is it better to create allowance using excess elsewhere, like around the arm openning?
What about square shoulders with prominent shoulder blades?

sorry but there is no way to make a ready to wear larger in the chest . there is a way for m2m and custom.
if a rtw jacket has cloth in the center seam, it could be let out for the blades.
but the chances that the cloth would move to the sides for the blades is iffy. it might stay in the center.
once again m2m and custom can be a big help.

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
I've done this alteration, in fact from a more detailed explanation you gave me in a pm. The two issues I came across were some rippling right at the point where the armhole hits the sleeve-head and some loss of balance in regard to the back length. In the alteration I opened the shoulder seams to only within a centimetre or two of the sleeve-heads (as any further is a headache).

The loss of back length is obviously due to the lift , but I expected it to be less.

I'm starting to think it might also have been a shifting-the-shoulder job that was required. I suppose on a garment that's already made up there's only so much alteration can be done before it becomes a pointless rebuild.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads