• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got pants shortened, now they feel wide around ankle

David Yanez

Reaction score
Zahary Prell Aster pants only come in 34 inch inseam. I got them alter to 28 but now they feel wide in ankle. When I walk they feel like my pants are flowing around my ankle if that makes sense. Can i fix that?

Attachments

• IMG_2366.JPG
    IMG_2366.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2365.JPG
    IMG_2365.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 48

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can taper the legs to have a smaller opening

David Yanez

Reaction score
You can taper the legs to have a smaller opening
Wow, really? So they could make opening narrower? How does that work?
Will that affect the rest of the pants? I don't want the waist tighter.

What do I say exactly? I usually just go to the cleaners, they have someone who does altering

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow, really? So they could make opening narrower? How does that work?

What do I say exactly? I usually just go to the cleaners, they have someone who does altering
You'll need to decide how much you want to narrow, then they can open the side seams up the legs a ways and resew at that narrower width.
I can't guarantee a dry cleaner's going to have the skills, though it's not a wild tailoring request. You may have to go to a proper tailor, but it's worth an ask if you trust them. If they don't understand a request to taper leg openings, then it's definitely worth checking with a tailor.

That's said, the leg openings look proportional to the rest of the pants.

David Yanez

Reaction score
You'll need to decide how much you want to narrow, then they can open the side seams up the legs a ways and resew at that narrower width.
I can't guarantee a dry cleaner's going to have the skills, though it's not a wild tailoring request. You may have to go to a proper tailor, but it's worth an ask if you trust them. If they don't understand a request to taper leg openings, then it's definitely worth checking with a tailor.

That's said, the leg openings look proportional to the rest of the pants.
I gotta find my own tailor then.

But seriously, do you think they look fine? Do you think it's worth getting tapered or should I leave 'em as is?

They don't look like those pants that flare out or boot cut?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They look like a more traditional cut currently. If you plan to wear them casually (as in pic), I'd probably taper them to what the leg opening is when they are unhemmed at their 34" length. That might be an inch or so?
Just don't get too crazy, they'll look odd and make your torso look larger if you go too narrow.

David Yanez

Reaction score
They look like a more traditional cut currently. If you plan to wear them casually (as in pic), I'd probably taper them to what the leg opening is when they are unhemmed at their 34" length. That might be an inch or so?
Just don't get too crazy, they'll look odd and make your torso look larger if you go too narrow.

Yea, when I bought 'em they had a nice look around leg opening. Now they're more wider

Here's how they looked before:

I just want a casual look

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need to find a competent alterations tailor. You can probably taper them about an inch but as someone mentioned above, too much and you’ll look off balanced.

David Yanez

Reaction score
The sleeves & length is too long on this shirt I got from Rodd & Gunn. Would taking off 3 inches on the sleeves & two inches off length ruin the shape of shirt?

I like loose shirts cause I'm big in the hip area but the length is just too long

Attachments

• IMG_2349.jpg
    IMG_2349.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2359.jpg
    IMG_2359.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 74

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads