Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Got My W.W. Chan Suit Today

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JLibourel, Jan 25, 2005.

1. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

My W.W. Chan suit was waiting for me when I got home this evening. I should have preferred slightly more waist suppression, otherwise extremely satisfied. My major complaint is that it is so good that it makes me want to donate about half the suits I own to charity.

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Congratulations, Jan. I'm sure it must be fun to get it. Would it be possible to take it to Chan for some slight alteration on the waist suppression? On the bright side, maybe you can have an extra dessert. [​IMG]

3. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Congratulations Dr Jan.

ls it possible for you to post pictures of you wearing the suit?

Regards: marc_au.

4. Matt

Matt [email protected]

if you dont mind my asking, how much did it cost you, and for what?

5. Stu

Stu Senior member

Did you order on the November tour? And in what city? I ordered on the November tour in Palm Beach, so I'm wondering if mine is forthcoming also...

6. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

I think that WW Chan will do minor alterations for free--they offered to take one of my suits back to HK to have the trousers altered, but I didn't have them do it. Certainly you can fine tune the cut on future orders.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Chan was in Palm Beach? When was this?

Jon.

8. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

They don't go to Palm Beach, only to "Plam" Beach. [​IMG] They post their touring schedule on their website well in advance (usually up to a year ahead of time).

9. Stu

Stu Senior member

(Stu @ Jan. 25 2005,12:56) Did you order on the November tour? Â And in what city? Â I ordered on the November tour in Palm Beach, so I'm wondering if mine is forthcoming also...
    Chan was in Palm Beach? When was this? Jon.
    Patrick and the other guy were in the Hilton on Ocean Drive in Palm Beach on Nov. 15 or so. It's that hotel that is just about 50 yards north of that park that belongs to the city of Lake Worth. They go to Palm Beach every November, and Miami Beach in March.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

In reply to some of the questions and comments:

The suit was their November special: $845 for a 2-piece from Loro Piana Super 120. Mine is in midnight blue. And, yes, I did order it on the November tour. I had requested, if possible, delivery by the end of January so that I could wear it to the S.H.O.T. Show, the major trade show for the firearms industry.

Unfortunately, Marc, I have neither a scanner nor a digital camera, so I can't post. More's the pity.

Retronotmetro, you were the first to strongly urge that I consider Chan, and I want to thank you very much for that tip. When I read some of the horror stories on this board, not just about lower-level Hong Kong tailors like Raja, but even very respected names in bespoke tailoring, I am all the more pleased with the quality and service I got from Chan. I doubt if I'll send the jacket back to Hong Kong unless Mr. Chu insists when I see him again in a couple of months. It's a little more "sack-ish" than I'd like but far from egregious.

AlanC, I might relish your suggestion about the extra desserts (pun intended). Unfortunately for that pragmatic and pleasurable suggestion, the waistband of the trousers is much too well tailored to my actual waistband for me to get away with that "remedy."

Thanks for all the good words, gentlemen.

11. Stu

Stu Senior member

I think I might have ordered a very similary fabric. Mine was a dark navy from that Loro Piana special. I really can't wait to get my suit now. maybe tonight it will be on my doorstep so I can take it out and play with it when I get home.

12. tteplitzmd

tteplitzmd Active Member

I have used Chan for more than 15 years, and they are happy to adjust, alter, the only cost is to send it back, they'll alter and return it to you with no problem. In fact, I have found they prefer to do any follow up work on their goods, which I think speaks to the seriouslness with which they take their work.

It is important that their pattern reflect the most recent correct fitting. Every garment has a unique number, but they go by their most recent version of your paper pattern. Sometimes I will ask them to cut the jacket to allow, for example, my wearing a sleeeless sweater, etc. and they make the change only for that garment. They are very interested in your being happy with the goods.

13. uriahheep

uriahheep Senior member

Does WW Chan do CMT? If they do, how much do they charge for CMT for shirts, jackets, pants, vests, tuxedos, overcoats etc?

14. uriahheep

uriahheep Senior member

15. dah328

dah328 Senior member

What's CMT? And they're quite prompt in returning emails if you want the definitive response. www.wwchan.com. dan