• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got my first Suit, but there is one problem...

SharpandClean

Reaction score
So today I bought my first suit Alfani Red Slim form Macy's since I am on a budget. Shoulders fit well, the only thing I needed to do was to get the sides taken in and sleeve length. Pants fit great. So when I went home, I realized a huge problem. The armholes are way too big and causes bunching up of the shoulders. So, I went to google and started searching the problem.
Found this: http://dappered.com/2010/12/alfani-red-vs-hilfiger-trim-fit-the-pros-and-cons-of-each/
It says that Tommy Hilfiger has a slightly shorter armhole, but honestly it still seems way too big.
My build is athletic with a V-taper, which makes buying suits so difficult. If I buy a Suit that fits my waist, then obviously my shoulders don't fit. If I wear a suit that fits my shoulders, the suit is like a blanket on my waist.

So, my main question is "Are there any suit within the $200-$300 range that have higher armholes in Macy's that are 100% wool?" Sounds like right now that Tommy Hilfiger is my only choice right now. Don't know if Calvin Klein, Bar III, or Lauren are 100% wool or have higher armholes. Also quality wise, which suit brand in Macy's would be considered the best? Much appreciated.

Jamesgatz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty good trolling. I say stick with Alfani and save the alteration costs for a nice pair of Kenneth Coles.

SharpandClean

Reaction score
What?! Trolling? Ok, I really need people to answer my questions probabaly gonna return the alfani today, but really dont know what to get besides the Tommy Hilfiger

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also quality wise, which suit brand in Macy's would be considered the best? Much appreciated.

Get out of Macy's. You're much better off looking for something here: http://www.styleforum.net/f/6714/classic-menswear-classifieds
or thrifting. For decently priced new check out SuitSupply or eHaberdasher's Benjamin line:
http://us.suitsupply.com/suits/Suits,en_US,sc.html?srule=PriceAsc&start=0&sz=77
http://www.ehaberdasher.com/servlet/StoreFront

Good deals on Hickey Freeman can usually be found at NM Last Call if you have one near you, or C21 if you're near NYC. Good luck!

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Until you are willing/able to raise your budget, SF will not help you much. You will not find much love for Macy's, Jos Bank, Mens Wearhouse, or any of the other brands that cater to your price point.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Until you are willing/able to raise your budget, SF will not help you much. You will not find much love for Macy's, Jos Bank, Mens Wearhouse, or any of the other brands that cater to your price point.

+1

You're looking at minimum $400 for a decent quality suit; maybe $350 depending on how common your size is.

NWT RL Polo suits on ebay sell for $350 in some cases.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, look at eBay too. Many member here including myself sell a decent amount of high quality clothing at ridiculous prices. I just had a recent Hickey Freeman suit in charcoal ( a staple) made with Loro Piana super 150s go for... wait for it... $71
censored.gif
Most of my good sport coats go for that price too so you could always get a SC and slacks for under your budget.

That suit was infinitely better than anything you'll find and all it takes is a little patience and knowing your measurements. Going lightly used will get you so much more quality and longevity.

Last edited:

Synthetic

Reaction score
None of the suits that Macy's carries are of good quality. I highly recommend that you save up for something better (SuitSupply's Purple Line at $469 is one example). Cheap suits are going to have huge armholes, as a general rule.

If you absolutely cannot increase your budget, then pick the one that fits you the best, because the quality is not going to be there whether you go with Hilfiger, Bar III, CK, Alfani, Lauren, etc. I believe all of these brands are 100% wool, with the partial exception of Bar III. Some of those suits are wool/poly blends, so make sure you find the ones that are pure wool (they're all the same price, too). The Bar III jackets are more slim-fitting than the other brands, and that may work in your favor given your physique. So, I'd recommend finding a pure wool Bar III jacket and seeing if you can find a size with armholes to your liking. These jackets are also cut short, so be wary of that, especially if you're tall.

Edit: Alfani also uses wool/polyester blends.

Last edited:

SharpandClean

Reaction score

Ok I thought about it and will raise my budget

SharpandClean

Reaction score

OP, look at eBay too. Many member here including myself sell a decent amount of high quality clothing at ridiculous prices. I just had a recent Hickey Freeman suit in charcoal ( a staple) made with Loro Piana super 150s go for... wait for it... $71 :censored: Most of my good sport coats go for that price too so you could always get a SC and slacks for under your budget.

That suit was infinitely better than anything you'll find and all it takes is a little patience and knowing your measurements. Going lightly used will get you so much more quality and longevity.

Isnt most of ebay just luck? I mean I need the suit by July 13th. Things like thrift shops, ebay all seem like pure luck to me

mp1472

Reaction score
Isnt most of ebay just luck? I mean I need the suit by July 13th. Things like thrift shops, ebay all seem like pure luck to me
there's some luck involved yes but if you know what brands you like and what your measurements are its simply checking in frequently looking for that deal!
I got recently a pair of hickey freeman mainline wool slacks for 44 bucks bnwt (345 retail) and a pair of zanellas for 34 bucks bnwt (325 retail).

you have over a month to get the suit that's more than enough time

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads