• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got my first pair of Allen Edmonds Shoes

TreadNotOnMe

Reaction score
... And I'm pumped about it. I love them. I bought the Park Avenues, at an Allen Edmonds store. I looked around for a week or so, online and offline, to see if there is such thing as deals on new ones. There might be, but I didn't find any right now, so I just went for it.

I was wondering, I got some things to make sure I take good care of them for the long-haul, but do any of you live where it rains or snows a lot? It is going to start snowing here where I live, and I'm worried about that. Is there anything to make sure they are fine, or are there some of you that bust out the cheaper pair for this 4 month or so period? I'm half tempted to do that.

Thanks for any advice!

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some Neats Foot Oil will keep the leather soft. Otherwise, maintain a good polish on the shoes. You shoud be fine.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have four pairs of AE and five pairs of Johnston & Murphy's. Guess which I wear on bad weather days.

I agree with your instinct on this one to bust out the cheaper shoes. No need to put away the AEs all winter...I'd just shelve them on the snow days and the few days after.

My big fear about buying really expensive shoes is that they'll get damaged. I know they will last a decade, but if I gouge a chunk out of them on an escalator, what's the use?

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jos A Bank used to have a discount card that gave you 20% discount on all non-sale items. I haven't been to JAB in a few years, so I'm not sure if that's still the case, but 2 years ago, I got a few pairs of Park Avenues for $210 each (including tax) because they were running a promo where you got $25 off for every $100 that you spent, and I got the 20% off on top of it. I wouldn't dare pay full retail for them, but that's just my opinion.

As far as your question goes, I either wear "beater" shoes in the rain/snow and change once I'm inside, or I wear rubber slip-overs.

Last edited:

N. McKay

Reaction score

I was wondering, I got some things to make sure I take good care of them for the long-haul, but do any of you live where it rains or snows a lot? It is going to start snowing here where I live, and I'm worried about that. Is there anything to make sure they are fine, or are there some of you that bust out the cheaper pair for this 4 month or so period? I'm half tempted to do that.

I live in eastern Canada, where there's snow on the ground for four months of the year (mixed with road salt on the sidewalks). My solution is to wear overshoes (the toe rubber kind). I have a pair from Swimm that have a soft lining that won't ruin the polish.

Keeping up a good polish is also useful, of course, for any time you encounter some weather and are without overshoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads