• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got my first aromatic Cedar Shoe Trees, but how many do I need ?

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to shoe trees, never used them... I have 16 pairs of shoes 4 of them I use regularly and the others in special ocassions, and finally I decided to get aromatic cedar shoe trees..

I found these ar $45 and are really aromatic.... man, when I opened the box it parfumed the room
smile.gif

Now I wanted to know how many shoe trees should I use and how to rotate them...

Also I was wanderin if using them would enlarge my shoes or not... I like them like they are... it is just that I would like to preserve them better and stop/make disapear the creases and wrinkles on them...

21082006288.jpg
21082006290.jpg

Thanks for your answers

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice trees. I have one pair of trees in each pair of shoes but have only 6-8 pairs of dress shoes (casual shoes and sneakers don't need trees imo). You could get less expensive cedar trees for $15 if cost is an issue. They won't stretch your shoes.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
I currently have 20 pairs of dress shoes, but only have around 7? pairs of cedar shoetrees.

The 7 workhorse pairs that I rotate for work on a weekly basis are distributed 3 trees that I use in always the last 3 worn shoes. So each shoe gets a good 3 days with trees in them upon usage each.

I use the other 4 pairs distributed amongst my 13 other nicer pairs I wear on more infrequent occasions. And again, the 4 trees are always in the last 4 pairs to be worn. But here in this case, each shoe that was worn may have a tree in them for days or weeks because I dont rotate these shoes that much, if I even rotate them, because I really just pick and choose which shoe to wear out of the 13 depending on the occasion and what I wear.

I know the ideal will be to have 20 pairs for all 20 shoes, but I think it is ok to pull them out after having them inside a pair for a few days.

Remember , the trees are NOT to absorb moisture (cedar is a catalyst to allow faster wicking of moisture, not an absorbing agent. cedar or any material does not INFINITELY absorb moisture, even silica gel must be heated to a certain heating point to get rid of oversaturated moisture before it can be used again), and trees are not to prevent creases.
Wearing shoes will evidently create creases, it is the quality of the leather that determines the degree and the look of the creasing, which in my opinion, adds character and is a part of the beauty of shoes. A straight out of the box non creased shoe looks artificial sort of and I always try them on and crease them initially even though I won't plan on wearing them anytime soon, just because i like the look of a slightly creased shoe, which adds dimension/curves and character/flavor.
What the trees will definitely do is while the shoes are drying and shrinking back into place after wear, the trees will not allow for accelerated fiber malformage or retraction (my own words, i dont know) and will stunt the development of bacteria and mold within where the insole is deep where the ball and toes of the feet reside (that is where most of the deterioration comes from, not the uppers, not soles<can be resoled> but if the insoles and the insides decay, the shoes are dead)/
It is sort of like to prevent tooth decay from the inside of the tooth. you know? it is not about absorbing water or preventing creases, although to some small degree it does this, but cedar is mainly to hold the shape while resting, and to prevent bacteria and mold buildup.

so after a couple of day or few days on a shoe tree, the shoe can exist in your closet without a tree in it fine i believe. until the next wearing and then repeat.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
so after a couple of day or few days on a shoe tree, the shoe can exist in your closet without a tree in it fine i believe
I hate to disagree with a fellow member here but I'm not sure I agree. Ideally I think you want trees on all the time except for wearing of course.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
oops, sorry. double post.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I hate to disagree with a fellow member here but I'm not sure I agree. Ideally I think you want trees on all the time except for wearing of course.
Hmm, I feel that generally, a shoe tree's most beneficial characteristic is that they absorb the odors/moisture which come about from wearing the shoe, not to mention that whilst the shoe has been worn for a while and does contain moisture, the leather is a little more prone to becoming slightly misshaped as a result. I have always felt that once a shoe has been left out "to dry" and "air out" (i.e. not in the shoebag) for at least 24 hours w/ the shoe trees inside, it is safe to remove the shoe trees and put them in another pair if needed. My shoes have lasted pretty long this way........
laugh.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
Hmm, I feel that generally, a shoe tree's most beneficial characteristic is that they absorb the odors/moisture which come about from wearing the shoe, not to mention that whilst the shoe has been worn for a while and does contain moisture, the leather is a little more prone to becoming slightly misshaped as a result. I have always felt that once a shoe has been left out "to dry" and "air out" (i.e. not in the shoebag) for at least 24 hours w/ the shoe trees inside, it is safe to remove the shoe trees and put them in another pair if needed. My shoes have lasted pretty long this way........
laugh.gif

I agree. Basically, they hold the shoe in shape while it dries, and then they don't do much after that.

I have nearly enough for all my shoes, and I just buy them now when I see a good deal at a thrift store. I've gotten a bunch of perfectly good trees for ~$4 that way.

Also, I would not suggest paying a whole lot more to get brand new fresh cedar trees, as the cedar smell wears out pretty quickly and doesn't really do anything. They will continue to perform their function without the aromatic property. Buy them on discount when you can, or pick up ~4 good pairs and rotate them into your most recently worn shoes.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I guess I view trees the same as car wax; small cost for maintenance for a substantial investment. $15 for decent trees is not a major expense relative to benefit.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I guess I view trees the same as car wax; small cost for maintenance for a substantial investment. $15 for decent trees is not a major expense relative to benefit.

AF are the ones from bexley any good??

tbabes

Reaction score
Each pair of shoes that you care about should have dedicated shoe trees

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
considering the price you pay for better shoes, plus i assume, everybody's above-average love of shoes, i think a cedar tree for every shoe is not a big price to pay. i have read somewhere though about some members having reservations on putting a pair of shoe trees on a driving loafer. as diorshoe said, we dont want a case of accelerated fiber malformage, right?
laugh.gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Bexley will deliver the best value.
http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/index.a...Referrer=12141

Agreed, the Bexley's look wonderful. Just wondering, do you use trees for every one of your casual shoes and your sneakers too?

I think trees are of no use for sneakers. I do use them on some casual shoes, such as soft leather loafers. But not on other casuals, such as canvass shoes, or mules.

Does anyone use trees for every single pair of shoes they own?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads