• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got my EG Dovers

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
From ebay - I posted on the temp forum when I won the auction. These are the first pair of Greens I've had. As you can see from the pictures, they're in great shape and were a pretty good deal at $53.

I do have an issue: these are definitely a tad small. I tried to wear them yesterday but they are just too snug at the ball of my foot and they started to hurt after a little while. They are not too short - is there any reason that these couldn't be stretched for width a bit? I'm assuming that suede will stretch as readily as regular calf, no?

Also, I've never heard of the 32 last nor did I find it with a search. Anyone familiar with it? One things for sure, now that I've had a small taste, I really want a pair of these or a pair of Yardleys on the 606 or 888 last in Edwardian or burnt pine in the proper size.

Here are some pictures. The color is closer to the warm taupe in the flash pictures.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pretty good deal?
crazy.gif
eek.gif
cry.gif
Tear.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Pretty good deal?
crazy.gif
eek.gif
cry.gif
Tear.

That was mild understatement
blush.gif
. I was surprised - it was a full 7 day auction with a correct subject line and description. They pictures in the auction were pretty bad, but I emailed the seller and she sent me a full batch. I was expecting the price to jump up at the end but there was really no interest - my luck.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron

I do have an issue: these are definitely a tad small. I tried to wear them yesterday but they are just too snug at the ball of my foot and they started to hurt after a little while. They are not too short - is there any reason that these couldn't be stretched for width a bit? I'm assuming that suede will stretch as readily as regular calf, no?

Read Post#5 by Whoopee

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...680#post143680

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As for the fit, you should just sell them to me at cost and be done with them. Not worth the hassle.

Honestly, take them to the best shoe repair place you can find. They should be able to stretch them a little without damaging the shoes.

Earthmover

Reaction score
If the shoes don't work out, please sell to me! What a bargain you got.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Baron,

If I am hearing you correctly, it is a tightness horizontally across your foot? From the ball of your big toe to the side of your pinky toe?

Depending on how severe it is, and if it is a snugness due to the upper leather against your toes, the shoes may be able to be stretched or popped. Sometimes it even takes repeated attempts. If the shoes are new, they may take some breaking in, especially E. Green suede which can be a bit stiff at first. However, if the actual last, the platform upon which your foot rests, is too narrow, that is not a soluable situation.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It may be a problem. I'm taking them into a shoe repair joint today to get an opinion. Frankly, they're pretty close to fitting - just a bit narrow near the toe. If I can't work it out, I'll offer them to the forum before putting them back on ebay, but I have a feeling I can solve things.

That said, I really like these! I love the color of the suede, and how they look with jeans and casual trousers.

When is the summer EG sale in London? My British girlfriend's brother is getting married on June 25, so I may be in London at around the right time to score a new pair or two in the proper size.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EG's 32 last is, I believe, an old one that is no longer actively used, though it may be available for special orders. I recall previous discussion about it that it runs small and is a shallower fit than the US-based lasts, such as 202, 606, etc. One more thing -- because 32 is not, I don't think, one of the US-based lasts, I believe the width sizing is "true" UK sizing, meaning a D width is actually a US "C"

Incredible deal you got though!!

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That shag suede is beautiful. someone had posted a pic of it before. I like it better each time I see it.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kabert
EG's 32 last is, I believe, an old one that is no longer actively used, though it may be available for special orders. I recall previous discussion about it that it runs small and is a shallower fit than the US-based lasts, such as 202, 606, etc. One more thing -- because 32 is not, I don't think, one of the US-based lasts, I believe the width sizing is "true" UK sizing, meaning a D width is actually a US "C"

Incredible deal you got though!!

If you're right, then these would be a US 10C - I don't think that's the case because they're a touch shorter in length than most of my shoes. Since they were made for Louis Boston (see pic), doesn't it make sense that they would be marked with US sizing? I'm not familiar enough with EG to know how that works.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads