• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Got / getting fabrics – help on deciding what to do with them

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
Will be making a trip to HK later in the year and getting some stuff tailored. Got a few recommendations for tailors and will likely go with Peter Lee. I wanted to get some thoughts and ideas on fabrics and what to do with them.

To start off, I picked up four fabrics off this forum at attractive prices. I'd like to get SCs made with each of them.

#1.

This was inspired by a picture I found on a blog at some point and saved it:

Two button, dual vent, pretty standard. The picture doesn't have flap pockets though most of my SCs do. Any thoughts?
I will likely show this picture to the tailor unless anyone has experience with this ending up poorly.

#2. Fabric #69

Similar to previous one, 2B, dual vent, SB. Any thoughts on this as a SC? I tend to lean towards solid colors for SC's, will this be versatile enough? I have 3.5 yards of this so a suit may be do-able if a SC absolutely does not work.

#3. Fabric #188

Similarly, wondering about versatility as a SC.

#4. Fabric #115

Really like the color. Similar SC. Also have 3.5 yds and could probably get a suit as well.

I want to add elbow patches as well, generally because I like the BC ones on the forums and I have never seen one which would fit me well at a decent price. Any recommendation on a place to buy them from?

Any input on this button on the collar?

I don't remember where I got the picture from but what is the purpose of it? I assume in the cold, one could snap it to prevent wind from getting in. I like the idea of it, and am tempted to ask that it be added on #4.

Would like some thoughts or input on any of the fabrics above. Things to change, maybe options to consider. On a side note, I have quite a few suits and am generally trying to add to my SC collection. But if any of them seems especially appropriate for a suit, I'd consider adding some trousers.

I was also thinking of having one made especially for the hotter months, ideally unlined:

Any suggestions on which one works best? I was thinking the first or last but open to other suggestions.

Would also like some thoughts / help on shoulders and buttons. The whole soft shoulders / padded shoulders is a bit perplexing at times. I understand the difference and want to lean towards softer shoulders but sometimes like the structure that something like a RLBL suit provides. Maybe something in between? Or alternate between one and the other?

Next, I was thinking between adding a three-piece suit or a tux. I have never worn either of them. However, both seem like handy items to have, for the right occasion. For the tux, I really wanted one in a dark navy blue but I realize it might be stupid to have your only tux in a color other than black. Any thoughts?

Alternatively, I have seen some interesting 3-pieces and that is also an option. Plus, with a 3-piece, I can wear it as a suit if I don't want to wear the vest. I found the following four fabrics at British Fabrics on eBay (http://stores.ebay.com/BRITISH-FABRICS). I think they are interesting choices and would like to hear some thoughts. Alternatively, open to other fabric options as well.

100% WOOL WORSTED TWEED FABRIC
100% WOOL WORSTED WEED FABRIC LENGTH
100% WOOL TWEED FABRIC
100% WOOL FABRIC

I think my interest in a 3-piece was also spiked by this absolutely bad-ass pic posted at WAYWRN. Understandably, the bad-ass-ness doesn't come from the suit as much as the attitude and picture.

To add a bit of context, I'm 25. Will be going back to business school in the fall. I think the SCs will be handy to have in the campus setting as the undergrad days are long gone. Again, have a good selection of suits so not leaning towards them.

Pic of myself for reference as well. Now with more hair!

Thanks for any input!

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 15 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 71 17.7%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 132 32.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 69 17.2%
  • 31 - 40