Got fitted at Allen Edmonds store, but still not sure about size

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zachn, Sep 6, 2015.

1. zachn

zachn Member

I went to the store to get fitted. The person brought out a 12D and a 13D. 12D was just a bit tight and heel was sliding out. So I was given the 13, which was a better fit. The person at the store said, "well, you are a 13D." I was like, OK.

But then I started to think about it. There was no 12.5 in the store, and there were no alternate widths in the store. The only reason the 13 felt better was because the 13 is wider by default than the 12. However, this isn't correct to just throw a larger size at the problem. The length of my foot may actually be the size 12, but the width may be an E. How do I know that I am not a 12E or a 12.5D, or a 12.5E? I don't want to walk around in a shoe that is longer than it needs to be just so the width feels better. Doesn't seem like a proper fitting.

I feel nowhere closer to knowing this answer having visited the store, which is 1 hr away. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

2. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

An AE store manager told me this summer their in-store inventories of non-D sizes is being reduced. He's not happy about it.

However they can get your shoe in an E (or anything else) in a day or two. I'd schedule another trip and have them order in a couple of odd sizes you suspect you might need and nail things down.

Also, feel free to jump into the AE thread.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  3. zachn

zachn Member

Should I have posted this question in there?

Probablly not making another trip anytime soon.

4. deburn

deburn Senior member

From my limited experience with the AE shoe store in my area, their staff aren't well trained. What's your objective? Are you interested in buying AE shoes? If so, you should post in the AE thread, as suggested. If you're not planning to go back since it's an hour away, then why bother?

You can buy shoes online, you just need to figure out your size and which brand you're interested in. You can figure out your Brannock size by going to pretty much any shoe store. Once you decide which brand(s) you're interested in, you go read the appropriate thread.

5. zachn

zachn Member

I plan on buying AE shoes. I wanted to get my size so I could order while the factory seconds sale was going on. I was going to make my orders online. By the time I make two trips up and back, I'd have spent enough money to pay return shipping. I had already guessed I was a 12.5 or 13D without even going to the store. Without shoes available in all the length sizes and at least a C and E width, I'm not sure how I could be properly fitted regardless of who is working the store.

But thanks, I will go to the AE thread.

6. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Senior member

Any chance you are in the NYC area? If so, I can direct you to a location where you will be fitted properly. If not, the single best piece of advice I was given when I was fitting my first pair of AE shoes was to fit the ball of your foot. The heel slippage will decrease when the shoes are broken in.

7. Grumpton

Grumpton Member

This sounds so strange to me. They should have fitted you to several different shoes on several lasts. You want to know what size you are in the last (or 2) that best fits your foot.

Go in again (I know you said it's an hour away) and get the right size in several lasts. You might be a 12E in one last, and a 13D in another. Totally plausible. Then walk around in the different shoes and make sure you actually like the different lasts.

The major problem I think you'll face is that they may not have great selection in your size. If you have a good salesperson, they may be flexible with you to order stuff for you to test, but I don't know how that works if you plan on going seconds.

8. zachn

zachn Member

I am not in the NYC area. I will look for that. I've been watching some videos and reading articles which have said similar things.

9. zachn

zachn Member

Yeah, I went in and asked to be fitted to the Park Avenue last and the Carlyle last. Person came out with Park Avenue and said, "the size is the same in all it just has a different look to it - you'll be the same size in every shoe."

I will likely have to have them order multiple sizes to do that. There were two stores in the area, and I intended to go to both, but completely forgot to go to the other as I was walking around checking other things out. I said an hour, but it is a bit more than that - 1hr 15-30. I don't really want to go back to the same store cause it doesn't seem like that person was thorough, or maybe couldn't be cause of the size limitations. Seems like sales people are just ready to tell you that something fits so you will buy - they don't really care whether it fits or not.

I wanted to make the seconds sale which had some good deals so I ordered anyway. I guess I will try them around the house and ship them back if I don't like them. The one thing in the store that still felt like the shoe didn't quite feel right was the ball of the foot - not sure if the ball of the shoe felt longer or shorter though.

Maybe it would be better for me to just order a few sizes and return them just to see what fits and what doesn't. That may be a shady way of going about it.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  10. theplayerking

theplayerking Well-Known Member

This is the perennial problem with buying oxfords—any oxford. Width is crucial if you want the laces to be perfectly parallel and AE stores don’t stock, or even make, wider sizes in all colors. I wanted an oxblood in an 8E and was told it would have to be a custom order. If you want a prefect fit you have to try on multiple sizes of multiple lasts. There’s no way around it.

11. zachn

zachn Member

So, I have now been through 8 different sizes, lengths and widths and am now down to special orders as my last resort. I cannot find any AEs that fit. The main issue seems to be that AE shoes are too long. For example, I tried a 13E in the Carlyle, the toes felt comfortable but there is just too much length in the toe box. This creates two issues: foot sliding forward even if only slightly, and tripping over your feet, which can damage the front end of the shoe and makes it unpleasant to wear. There is no leather left on the toe of my current 13 shoe from tripping on them, and the AEs are longer. Additionally, they feel like clown shoes.

12.5EE would seem to be a good bet, but those are special order. 12 are too short and there isn't enough width for the ends of my toes to fully spread out, regardless of width. But even 12.5s are too long from simply a geometrical point of view. They will be trashed in no time from tripping over them.

So, I am now at the point where I am just going to conclude that AE shoes don't fit me because it is not worth doing a special order at more cost and not being able to return them. I've probably spent 3 months trying to find a pair of AEs that fit. First purchased two pair from the Seconds Sale (which I would deter people from doing) - those didn't fit. Then I ordered 4 pair from the most recent sale and had to return all of them. Got two more pair and will be returning them.