• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

got called "dapper"

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
didn't like it. Saturday, wore charcoal nailhead double breasted suit, contrast collar check shirt, charcoal cashmere tie and a kent wang pocket square in gray. a friend of my wife/mother of a friend of my son's said "you look very dapper today".

dapper wasn't quite what I was looking for.

how do you guys feel about that word?

sfnewbie

Reaction score
I think it's funny when people complain about getting complimented. Unless she said it in a sarcastic, snotty way then take it as a compliment and realize not everyone knows the perfect terminology to use when someone looks great. What's wrong with it anyways? It's just a term for someone that looks nice and stylish.

Just my $.02

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with being called "dapper" especially if I'm wearing something nice enough to warrant the compliment. For example, wearing a 3 piece suit could be "dapper" whereas slacks with a shirt and tie in my mind is not terribly "dapper". However I would be glad to get a compliment either way.

I believe that "dapper" is just a compliment that you're looking stylish, above and beyond the norm.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a nerdy word. I agree with you globe.
I feel it is a typical thing to say for someone who is poorly dressed, he will try to make you feel slightly uncomfortable while packaging it as a compliment.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah what fresh hell is this, where compliments are misconstrued.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
Ah what fresh hell is this, where compliments are misconstrued.
+1. Take the compliment for what it's worth.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe the word's connotations are different over there, but over here being called dapper would almost always be a good thing...

82-Greg

Reaction score
Also consider the source of the compliment.

To some people--particularly those with several years under the belt--dapper is only a compliment.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No problem with me. I'v been called that as well, and typically from ladies (of various ages). Those kinds of compliments I'll gladly take in spades.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sorry - let me clarify: I think that she meant it as a compliment. I am not sure that that is the complement that I would like to get.

to me, dapper strikes me as sort of like "cute", or almost eccentric - maybe tom wolfe is dapper. I am not upset at her, I am not terribly happy with the effect of my appearance, when it generates that particular adjective

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
No problem with me. I'v been called that as well, and typically from ladies (of various ages). Those kinds of compliments I'll gladly take in spades.

I forgot to mention that almost every time I get the "dapper" compliment it's coming from a lady. Always a nice conversation starter
fing02[1].gif

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better sell off all that dapper clothing for cheap on B&S, then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads