• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

got a used SLR camera, any help figuring this thing out?

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so my dad gave me a Kalimar KX 5000 SLR camera.

the only thing i know about this camera is that someone told me that it's a knockoff version of the popular Pentax k1000, which to the best of my knowledge is a decent camera.

i literally know nothing about these types of cameras. it has a lense that says 35-70mm. it has no flash. i would want a flash.

is there any sort of reference guide out there where i could learn a bit more about how these cameras work, and more specifically what are some basic parts out there that i could buy for this old thing? i wouldn't want to invest much -- as i really don't have much disposable income as a college student paying my own way -- but i think using this thing would be a lot of fun.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should have match needle exposure - I recommend setting the aperture to your desired opening and just altering the shutter speed to meet the proper exposure (unless you're in a situation where you need a particular shutter speed to handhold or freeze action, in which case reverse the process). This is the poor man's aperture-priority program.

Lens is probably a piece of crap. The only info I can find says that it uses an old Minolta mount (MD) - you can probably get an excellent 50mm lens for $25-40 from a place like keh.com. Use it instead.

Flash - honestly, I've never used an on-camera flash that didn't basically do the work for me. I know the Vivitar 283 was the standard hot-shoe flash once upon a time, but nothing else about it.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll be buying Pentax K-mount lenses for it. A 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 would be the logical place to start. You'll also need film. Ilford makes cheap but decently nice black & white films. Kodak Portra films are nice for color, and are fairly forgiving in terms of exposure. Check out Pentax/Kalimar groups on flickr and pentaxforums.com for advice on where to look for scans of the camera manual online.

I used to shoot Pentax (and now shoot Canon), but if you have any questions about 35mm photogaphy in general, feel free to PM me.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not a K1000 copy. It's a Chinese copy of a '70s Minolta body (that I actually owned, once upon a time). Primarily made with a Minolta manual mount.

But some were sold with a K-mount, so you need to check the lens barrel and front for markings - something that says MD or K, most likely.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
It's not a K1000 copy. It's a Chinese copy of a '70s Minolta body (that I actually owned, once upon a time). Primarily made with a Minolta manual mount.

But some were sold with a K-mount, so you need to check the lens barrel and front for markings - something that says MD or K, most likely.

It says MD. What does this mean??

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That means it's a Minolta manual-focus mount. For lenses, you need to find those with a 'MD' mount (will usually have that as a prefix or suffix somewhere on the barrel).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads