1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Got a new suit but don't know about the fit!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by its299792458mps, Jan 6, 2011.

1. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

Thanks for the better pictures.

I agree with most - I think it's perfectly wearable, but would prefer it to be about an inch shorter.

Almost all "regular" length suits fall like this on me and drive me crazy so I usually buy the shorts.

Can tailors fix length like this?

Overall the suit does look just a tiny bit big on you, though. What's your height/weight/suit size here?

2. Zackb911

Zackb911 Senior member

I've found my 42R suits all range in 30.5" in length to 32". Same kind of difference you're feeling and seeing, being on the cusp of the next length up S/R, R/L, etc or just that manufacturer making them a touch longer than others in the same size.

While I can wear them all, the 30.5-31" ones feel like a better length, they usually run right to the knuckles when the length is right. It's a matter of preference.

3. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

Thanks for the feedback! Feeling a little more confident about it now.

I finally took some full length pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think?

Length is fine for an office environment. Too long if you're going for the trendy elf-suit look. Don't pay attention to where the coat is in relation to your hands. The rule is that it should cover your butt and no more.

4. its299792458mps

its299792458mps Active Member

Thanks for the better pictures.

I agree with most - I think it's perfectly wearable, but would prefer it to be about an inch shorter.

Almost all "regular" length suits fall like this on me and drive me crazy so I usually buy the shorts.

Can tailors fix length like this?

Overall the suit does look just a tiny bit big on you, though. What's your height/weight/suit size here?

I'm not sure. My mom's a tailor and she said suit lengths can't be fixed but she could be wrong here.

i'm roughly 6' weight 190lbs and i wear either 38R or 40R. The suit doesn't have a size but was advertised as 38 and it might be inbetween and regular and long.

5. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

I'm not sure. My mom's a tailor and she said suit lengths can't be fixed but she could be wrong here.

They can't be lengthened, but you can shorten them, though only by a small amount without messing up the balance of the coat and making the pockets look too low...

6. acecow

acecow Senior member

I don't see how this suit is too long. I keep looking, but I can't see it. It doesn't even cover his butt. It seems that his arms are shorter than usual, that's why most people think the suit is too long, but really, the jacket is fine.

7. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

I don't see how this suit is too long. I keep looking, but I can't see it. It doesn't even cover his butt. It seems that his arms are shorter than usual, that's why most people think the suit is too long, but really, the jacket is fine.

I think you're right. The back shot doesn't look like the jacket quite covers his gluteal fold. OP must just have really short arms, which is why you shouldn't judge proper length by where the bottom of the jacket hits on your hands.

As far as shortening a suit jacket, I've had it done to a couple. In addition to the problems of balance mentioned above, it is REALLY expensive to have done. I believe I paid north of $100. This suit absolutely does not need shortened.

8. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

It looks fine.

9. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

That's a long and unless you're over 6' you should stick with a regular. Otherwise it fits ok and I wouldn't waste money on alterations on a used suit you bought on ebay. No one who is knowledgeable about clothes would ever suggest you shorten the length of a suit jacket so make sure it fits when you buy it.
    I can tell it's a bit long by where the jacket falls. It's right at your crotch and should be an inch or two above. A regular measures 31" and a long about 32 1/4" not including the collar)
    If you're under 5'9" get a short.
    Some better stores like Paul Stuart where I just bought a jacket even have an intermediate length between a regular and a long.

Please stop giving horrendous advice.

10. its299792458mps

its299792458mps Active Member

I think you're right. The back shot doesn't look like the jacket quite covers his gluteal fold. OP must just have really short arms, which is why you shouldn't judge proper length by where the bottom of the jacket hits on your hands.

As far as shortening a suit jacket, I've had it done to a couple. In addition to the problems of balance mentioned above, it is REALLY expensive to have done. I believe I paid north of $100. This suit absolutely does not need shortened.

Yeah, I have exceptionally small hands, esp. for someone my height. Not too sure about the arms they're probably a little shorter than usual too.

11. ahe

ahe Senior member

Length is fine

12. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

I don't know why this idea keeps sticking around, that jacket length has anything to do with your arms. Arm length varies. Some people have no arms at all, and still have a correct suit length. So I will say, yet again:

If a suit jacket does not cover the bottom, it is too short. If it goes substantially beyond, it is too long.

13. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Looks good, don't shorten.

14. literasyme

literasyme Senior member

I don't know why this idea keeps sticking around, that jacket length has anything to do with your arms. Arm length varies. Some people have no arms at all, and still have a correct suit length. So I will say, yet again:

If a suit jacket does not cover the bottom, it is too short. If it goes substantially beyond, it is too long.

THIS.

Questions about coat length always generate the worst, most ill-informed responses on SF.

15. Opermann

Opermann Senior member

I thought the length was supposed to cut you in half. If you have a huge torso, you can shorten the length slightly to make your legs appear longer.

Judging from the pics, the length is fine. The suit appears to be wearing him, however, and not the other way around.

16. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

The length should be fine for you. Do the trousers fit on your waist or are they sliding down? Does the vest cover the top of the trouser? If the jacket was shorter the look would be worse from where the trousers are worn.
    I would shorten the right sleeve 1/2" and the left 3/4".

In an ideal situation I would shorten the jacket on the back only by opening the side seams and dropping the back down. This would improve the fit for your posture. Can't do this due to the plaid doth.