Got a job offer (need advice)

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Connemara, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I'd be a party hack, working as a jack-of-all-trades on a state campaign. It's something I'd really like to do but the pay is quite lame (as per usual with campaigns). They keep telling me that I'll spend very little of my paycheck as housing, gas, other things related to work will all be on the expense acct. (plus, lots of free food at the office). But it requires going to the northern reaches of the Great State of New York, far from the comfort of suburbia. Not sure what to do. What if I get an offer for a full-time gig the day after I say yes to this? Ugh. [​IMG]

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

dude, somebody is willing to pay your lame ass for something, take it. anyway, doen'st your daddy support you?

good luck and all the best

3. Connemara

dude, somebody is willing to pay your lame ass for something, take it. anyway, doen'st your daddy support you? good luck and all the best
    He won't when I get a job. [​IMG]

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Not sure what to do. What if I get an offer for a full-time gig the day after I say yes to this? Ugh. [​IMG]
    Since when have you had moral qualms about reneging on an agreement?

5. Valor

Valor Senior member

Wow, people hire OSU grads these days? The economy must be improving.

All jokes aside, you can probably keep looking for better until the offer deadline, after which if you accept and then renege, you'd burn some bridges.

6. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

I'd be a party hack, working as a jack-of-all-trades on a state campaign. It's something I'd really like to do but the pay is quite lame (as per usual with campaigns). They keep telling me that I'll spend very little of my paycheck as housing, gas, other things related to work will all be on the expense acct. (plus, lots of free food at the office). But it requires going to the northern reaches of the Great State of New York, far from the comfort of suburbia.

Not sure what to do. What if I get an offer for a full-time gig the day after I say yes to this? Ugh. [​IMG]

If they are paying for your gas, and paying you, get a Japanese sedan and do it.

Campaign work is something you can really only do when you're young and unattached. All-nighters, sleeping on random floors, pigging out on free food at the office, etc. It's great prep for grad school.

Don't count on a full-time offer materializing, unless you're already in the final stages of interviews.

7. Connemara

Wow, my investments are worth more than I had originally thought. I could buy a decent used car and then have a good chunk left over for living expense/savings/further investments.

This might be doable.

8. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

9. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Take it. Upstate isn't so bad.

Yeah. It won't get bad for another 6 months or so.

10. ysc

ysc Senior member

I worked on a political campaign recently at a very low level, doing stuff probably not a million miles from what you would be doing. It was fun and you get to meet and work with quite a lot of interesting/similarly motivated people. I would go for it, you can always get a "real" job afterwards but you may not be able to do something like this again.

11. Roy

Roy Senior member

Why not take it? The experience alone will probably help you along in the rest of your career.

12. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Connie, you could actually learn something about people in the heartland by living in upstate new york, not to mention maybe discovering meth. I say go for it.

13. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Republican or Democratic party hack? If for a Repub campaign, you may be asked for to do "things [​IMG]" not in your job description. If Dem., you will probably be required to commit a felony. Take your pick.

14. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Did I miss the part where he left D.C.?

15. Agnacious

Agnacious Senior member

Take it. It will look good on your inevitable law school application.