• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

got a job at the Buckle - must learn

razuel

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'm a 19 year old art student. Recently I was shopping in the Buckle and the manager was helping me shop around-- she really liked how I dressed and that I knew something about style.. she more or less asked me to work there. I start working next week.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with how the Buckle operates, but they believe in helping customers that come in to shop.. becoming their personal shoppers almost. We're expected to make conversation with every customer and try to help them shop, offering suggestions and bringing clothes to them that we think would look good.

Anyways, to the point. I've always had an interest in fashion and do know some-- I just know what looks good naturally, but I'm not as knowledgable as I should be. I don't know what colors to tell certain people to avoid and what not other than my own judgement. Is there a place to go to learn the 'technical' side of fashion, are there rules somewhere or something?

I plan to hangout around here and hopefully pick up some knowledge.

Thanks,
John

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by razuel
I'm not sure if you're familiar with how the Buckle operates, but they believe in helping customers that come in to shop.. becoming their personal shoppers almost. We're expected to make conversation with every customer and try to help them shop, offering suggestions and bringing clothes to them that we think would look good.

I avoid stores with this "beief system" like the plague. The best way to guarantee that I'll walk out w/o purchasing is to "help" me.

razuel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
I avoid stores with this "beief system" like the plague. The best way to guarantee that I'll walk out w/o purchasing is to "help" me.

I'm not a huge fan of it either, but it's a paycheck and a discount; so I don't mind being the one doing it.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
razuel- I'm confidant pretty much everyone here is with Joel Cairo on this one, not only is the sales technique a bit irritating but the Buckle caters to a very different kind of style than most people on here practice.

capnpyro

Reaction score
There's a game you can play at Buckle, see if you can walk in and touch the back wall and walk back out with out being harassed by an employee. It can't be done!

razuel

Reaction score
Haha, I like the sounds of that games.

Okay thanks anyway guys; do you have any suggestions of forums that are more geared towards that style/younger crowd?

Infinite42

Reaction score
Originally Posted by capnpyro
There's a game you can play at Buckle, see if you can walk in and touch the back wall and walk back out with out being harassed by an employee. It can't be done!

The Buckle Challenge! All it took was one attempt for me to agree that it can't be done!

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Razuel- While this forum probably won't help you with your job at the Buckle, please don't take it as a sign that you have nothing to learn from it or are unwelcome.
I'm positive you'll learn a TON if you stick around, even if you have a very mall-store personal style you might learn how to sharpen it as well as fin out about other pieces that you could incorparate.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by capnpyro

I've never been into the buckle before, but I am going to the mall today and will play the game...

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
razuel, first off congrats on the new job. luckily, a good portion of the male clothes shopping population is unlike the people you'll find on the SF and they're the ones you'll be able to help.

so stick around, pick up what i imagine will be some great advice, and welcome to the forum!

-Jeff

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what exactly do they sell? never heard of "the buckle"

razuel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
what exactly do they sell? never heard of "the buckle"

It's somewhat like pac sun, but with a little more of a vintage touch (and a little more upscale than pacsun). They definitely have better denim than pacsun too-- pacsun only sells bullhead trash now.

Thanks guys; I'll definitely stick around because as much as I like this style, I know I'll outgrow it fairly quick. And as stated, I'm sure there's a lot to learn here.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what they sell. If you want to be successful, you will do exactly what they did with you when you were in the store..... Listen to the customer for a few minutes. Check out what they are wearing, and what they look at. Then shower them with compliments on how good their taste is and how great stuff looks on them. 10% of people will think you're fake and leave, the others will buy lots of stuff they don't need. You will get paid. This job is a good opportunity to learn the art of sales.

Razuel, welcome to the forum....start saving those paychecks....if you stick around here you will probably not use that discount for long. Also check out the streetwear and denim forum for some stuff that may be more suited to your taste.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by razuel
It's somewhat like pac sun, but with a little more of a vintage touch (and a little more upscale than pacsun). They definitely have better denim than pacsun too-- pacsun only sells bullhead trash now.

Thanks guys; I'll definitely stick around because as much as I like this style, I know I'll outgrow it fairly quick. And as stated, I'm sure there's a lot to learn here.

Is it like American Rag?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome.

I'm having trouble finding any at the moment, but there are a bunch of good threads on here about customer service and how the people here like to be treated. Run some searches on the other stuff and just read around and you'll get a lot of info on how to tell if something fits or suits a particular customer. I recommend both WAYWT threads (pinned in MC and SW&D forums) for fit tips.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads