• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

got 800$ to spend. how should I build my wardrobe?

PainZtaking

Reaction score
Hi

I have been reading this forum for a few months. I have a question.

Now I have about 800-900$ to spend on clothing. How should I start building my wardrobe? What should I spend them on? any suggestion?

now my wardrobe consist of:

1 black ****** bespoke suit

a modern amusement sport coat
http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...&current=1.jpg

a ****** pair of black dress shoes

a sort of ok pair of tan loafers

a black peacoat

sort of gray/olive trench (banana republic)

a bunch of ****** button-down shirts like GAP etc...

btw I live in Portland and I'm going to Seattle and Vancouver in a few weeks.

ps No need for conservative stuff
ps2 Im kinda skinny. My true chest measurement is 33"
ps3 Im still in high school. Im only 16.
ps4 Dont tell me to go shop at American Eagle just because I'm a high school student
ps5 Sorry about my broken English
ps6 Sorry about having too many ps
tounge.gif

GQBaller

Reaction score
3-Button suit (olive):
9815.jpg
Teal dress shirt (button-down collar)
P11464847.jpg
Jos. A Bank ties (gold checkboard, pink):
8676.jpg
11216.jpg
Square toe shoes:
dress_shoes_5.jpg

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
I'm loling with your repeated use of your selected adjective. Especially with your bespoke. I don't think those two words could exist in same sentence.

800 can get you a lot of starting basics if you look hard enough and are patient due to recession pricing.

You can find a few polo made in italy suits on b and s at 270 dollars brand new (trust me, these are nice and better than what your peers would wear).
Some dress shoes for 200 can get you a couple of pair of AE one black standard captoe like Redding (usually at clearance) and a darker brown.
A few dress shirts from banana republic (these suffice, I have a few I wear and are great) at clearance 16- 29 dollars each).
A couple of ties on b and s like thomas pink nwt sold for as low as 25 dollars each.
There's some suits and blazers by hickey freeman and some no name made in italy by chorse123 for 100 each on b and s.

Incotex some plethora of leftovers in various composition and colors at prices that are basically can be negotiated down now.

That can all fit within 800

And that, btw, will be a killer wardrobe that most of your peers won't even know how to obtain.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jump in on the Footjoy dress shoes at golflocker.com. Footjoy is getting out of the dress shoe business and you can get some pretty sweet deals on good US-made shoes... while they last.

PainZtaking

Reaction score
GQBaller

seriously? lol square toe

Are you making fun of yourself?

sho'nuff

Have you been to Bangkok? That's where you can find ****** and bespoke together : D

I looked in b&s. Most of the stuff are too big for me and I'm kind of worry about sizing and fitting since I'm inexperienced about those satorial stuff.

Anyway thank for your help : )

nauticagmo

Reaction score
At 16, you're most likely gonna outgrow everything you buy at this point, except for maybe shoes. That's the main reason you why you shouldn't spend too much on clothes in high school.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spend your money getting chicks, not on investment pieces of your wardrobe....what is up with all the noobs?

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
spend the money on some steroids so your chest doesnt stay at 33'

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Get out of the MC forum and into the streetwear forum! You wanna buy a ******* suit? You need 2 nice pairs of jeans, some sneakers, a few tees and some sort of good outerwear and hoodies/sweaters/button downs/whatever you like.

PainZtaking

Reaction score
andyliu52

haha, that's funny
laugh.gif

antirabbit

what is up with the old people?

Fuuma

Actually yes, I wanna buy a suit. I think I already have enough streetwear stuff (a few pairs of raw denim, some hoodies that i wear only at home, some sneakers, some tees which i rarely wear, etc..) and I'm tired of them. I want something more elegance. : )

http://bp1.blogger.com/_prdTAnpkwTw/...nsonNoble2.jpg
I'm planing to pick up these Grenson shoes for 125$. What do you think?

and may be these pants
http://images.jcrew.com/erez4/erez?s...if&tmp=prdDtIc

and/or these
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/filterAsst/...3330/13330.jsp

I have not decided about suits yet. May be h&m or j crew or zara. What color should I start with? Gray?Navy? It would be nice if my suit's jacket or pants can be mix and match with other stuff.

larryr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff

You can find a few polo made in italy suits on b and s at 270 dollars brand new (trust me, these are nice and better than what your peers would wear).

What is b and s? is it a website?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

Now I have about 800-900$ to spend on getting rid of ****** noob threads. How should I start culling the herd? What should I spend them on? any suggestion?

PainZtaking

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Hi

Now I have about 800-900$ to spend on getting rid of ****** noob threads. How should I start culling the herd? What should I spend them on? any suggestion?

You might want to spend them on getting rid of old jerks.

wtf? ****** threads? So, what is appropriate? bespoke underwear? hugo boss haute couture?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 38.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 29 18.5%

Forum statistics

Threads