• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gordon Rush on Gilt

mdp0430

Reaction score
Anyone know what the deal is with Gordon Rush construction? When I zoom on the pictures on Gilt from yesterday's sale it looks like I can see glue where the upper meets the sole... Especially on the brown leather lace up oxfords...

nerve64

Reaction score
My brother had the unfortunate experience of purchasing a pair from Gilt. The shoes were stamped "Made in China."

mdp0430

Reaction score
I don't know why I even bother with Gilt. Glad I posted here before I made the purchase.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an aside... should Gilt be avoided altogether? Is it like the outlet stuff for higher end brands?

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've owned two pairs of Gordon Rush shoes. Both slip on style shoes. The black pair I owned fell apart within months of purchase.

However, I own a pair of brown slip ons (different style/construction) and they have held up quite well. I have been really pleased with them.

As far as Gilt...
puzzled.gif

alphaO888

Reaction score
Gilt is a scam but a good business model

The listed retail prices are manufacturer's suggested retail prices; no one sells items at the "retail prices" that Gilt states. Generally other internet retailers/stores will sell at a 20-30% discount to what Gilt lists as retail. Since they usually list items 30-50% off of their retail prices, you're really only getting a 10%-20% discount.

Nothing is current season, some of it is several years old. There is no selection - you only get this suit in this many sizes in one color. And you're paying only 10%-20% less than what you would pay at another retailer where you would have a MUCH bigger selection.

Plus returns are only for credit and you lose out on the shipping costs.

There was also something scandalous that went on a month ago where Gilt was billing you an extra $10.00 on your credit card statement on top of what they told you they were going to charge in the checkout shopping cart. It was a huge story and it's happened to people across the US. Gilt ended up claiming it was a system error and they would only refund customers who had both the original statement online and their credit card bills.

Plus it's stressful to shop there -

After having said all this - I still shop Gilt. Why? Because it's an ingenious business model that feeds off of people's greed.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdp0430
Anyone know what the deal is with Gordon Rush construction? When I zoom on the pictures on Gilt from yesterday's sale it looks like I can see glue where the upper meets the sole... Especially on the brown leather lace up oxfords...

A good friend of mine has two pairs of Gordon Rush boots. Two that don't look anything like most of their other stuff, and the only two worth owning in my opinion. I havn't inspected them too closely, so I am not sure of the construction. They apparently used to do sole replacements, but the company went out of business or something and doesn't even have a website anymore. His are a few years old and the uppers have held up really well and actually aged quite beautifully. He gets a lot of compliments on the patina.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alphaO888
Gilt is a scam but a good business model

The listed retail prices are manufacturer's suggested retail prices; no one sells items at the "retail prices" that Gilt states. Generally other internet retailers/stores will sell at a 20-30% discount to what Gilt lists as retail. Since they usually list items 30-50% off of their retail prices, you're really only getting a 10%-20% discount.

Nothing is current season, some of it is several years old. There is no selection - you only get this suit in this many sizes in one color. And you're paying only 10%-20% less than what you would pay at another retailer where you would have a MUCH bigger selection.

Plus returns are only for credit and you lose out on the shipping costs.

There was also something scandalous that went on a month ago where Gilt was billing you an extra $10.00 on your credit card statement on top of what they told you they were going to charge in the checkout shopping cart. It was a huge story and it's happened to people across the US. Gilt ended up claiming it was a system error and they would only refund customers who had both the original statement online and their credit card bills.

Plus it's stressful to shop there -

After having said all this - I still shop Gilt. Why? Because it's an ingenious business model that feeds off of people's greed.

Thanks for explaining all that. I agree about the stressful to shop - I'm a 40L for suits, a medium in most sweaters/t-shirts, a 15.5/34 in dress shirts and a 32" waist for pants so basically I'm one of the most common sizes out there and it's near impossible to ever get to something first.

I got the impression it was kind of a "mark prices up to mark them down" model so good to be validated there.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
A good friend of mine has two pairs of Gordon Rush boots. Two that don't look anything like most of their other stuff, and the only two worth owning in my opinion. I havn't inspected them too closely, so I am not sure of the construction. They apparently used to do sole replacements, but the company went out of business or something and doesn't even have a website anymore. His are a few years old and the uppers have held up really well and actually aged quite beautifully. He gets a lot of compliments on the patina.

Just as an update to this, my friend with the Gordon Rush boots I mentioned made this blog post about them. Here it is for whomever is interested.

http://brownboots.wordpress.com/2010...years-of-wear/

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are back again. And super expensive! I agree Gilt is overprices scam. Nothing more. You can find better deals during good sales in retail stores. If you don't like buying retail check Ebay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads