• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goose down sofa...a bad idea???

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently moved into a second floor apartment (old Victorian house) while waiting for my condo to be built. I don't have tons of money to throw around, but I'm in a position where I need first-time furniture and don't want to invest in anything disposable.

Anyways, I've been perusing the local used ads and came across a really lovely Ralph Lauren sofa from 2006. I saw it today and it was beautiful; a three-seater (rather large), made all of extremely soft, light brown wool, great depth, very casual, but filled completely with goose down. Should I be concerned? The sofa is obviously retaining its shape at this point, but I wonder if all that down will crumble in a few year's time?

Cheers!

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would take a look at the cushions. If they can be removed, you can treat them like pillows and replace the down at any competent dry cleaner.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What he said /\\
You need to fluff the cushions like a pillows. What is the asking price for RL sofa? Do not delude yourself into thinking that because it is RL it is high quality. It might be quite generic made in China sofa. Look for the signs of manufacturer tags.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
What he said /\\ You need to fluff the cushions like a pillows. What is the asking price for RL sofa? Do not delude yourself into thinking that because it is RL it is high quality. It might be quite generic made in China sofa. Look for the signs of manufacturer tags.
Thanks, gents. I imagine it would cost a fair bit to replace the down in the three principal back cushions, plus the main cushion on the seat, no? The sofa certainly looks and felt like the real deal, and the seller was a standup gent. I didn't take a super-close look at the tags, but I did note a certificate of sorts signed by four or five hands under the principal cushion. The asking price was $400, down to $350 with some haggling. I'll take a closer look if I go back to pick it up. I need to measure the stairway in my current apartment to see if I can get it up there.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
beware of bed bugs. **** is going around.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont understand the appeal of down for sofa cushioning. In bedding they are for high warmth density. Also, I would be wary of leaking. My down comforter leaks through its tight 350TC cover and the linen overslip

Dashing1

Reaction score
I've got a down sofa and am not sure I'd buy another. The wife hates it, as it consistently bunches up in uncomfortable ways, and cushions are not as easily fluffed evenly as pillows.

We do experience some feather leaking, as well, but it is relatively minor and infrequent. Our couch is well-made and was rather pricey, so your price seems reasonable; you just need to consider the alternatives.

The notion of a down sofa surpassed the reality.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashing1
I've got a down sofa and am not sure I'd buy another. The wife hates it, as it consistently bunches up in uncomfortable ways, and cushions are not as easily fluffed evenly as pillows.

We do experience some feather leaking, as well, but it is relatively minor and infrequent. Our couch is well-made and was rather pricey, so your price seems reasonable; you just need to consider the alternatives.

The notion of a down sofa surpassed the reality.

Very helpful. I was also concerned about "bunching" up and being uncomfortable; although, in a way this RL seems to be all about "slouchiness". It's so deep and wide that I think you're just supposed to melt into it.

I'm going to think twice about this. My preference is for a non-down sofa, but TBH it's a great deal on a piece that has some style and influence, if nothing else.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have one and fall asleep on it most every evening. I love it in one sense ... but as noted ... keeping it looking tidy is a chore.

Depends on where you are going to put it.

And over time the down does decay.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are looking at a linteloo metropolitan. Which is a combo of goose down with foam, which I guess negates the constant fluffing up but keeps the comfy feeling.

my mother had a different one from linteloo which was also supremely comfy, managed to fall asleep on that one during a visit. She switched them out for extremely uncomfortable couches. So make of that what you will.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads