• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Google to launch OS

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, in the end it won't be an adaptation of Android like they announced previously but an all-new "Google Chrome OS". It's supposed to be "based on the search engine" whatever that means.

I wonder how close to Unix it will be. Unix dates from the early 70's, Windows NT from the early 80's, it would be nice to see something really new for a change (besides Plan9 of course).

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's based on the Linux kernel so it should be fast and stable at least. It already has a one up on Microsoft in that regard.

I've been saying for a few years now that Microsoft's dominance is going to be challenged by Linux going after low end, outdated PCs. Looks like I wasn't the only one thinking like this.

Rather than spending thousands of dollars on upgrading to new hardware, and hundreds on a MS OS, I downloaded Ubuntu Linux for free and never looked back.

The main problem with Linux has always been installation difficulties, but they have certainly hammered out those problems now. It's so much better now in fact, installing Linux on your desktop is far easier than installing Windows, and faster too.

Ubuntu's install took a few mouse clicks and 20 minutes of downtime and I booted up to the OS in 30 seconds, all drivers installed and activated, and already connected to my network.

Slackware is supposed to be the most difficult Linux installation, usually deemed for experts only. I installed just to test it out. Went just as smoothly as my Windows 98 installations. Not quite as easy as XP, but no more difficult than 9x.

edit: Not a fan of the Chrome browser, and not going to like Chrome OS probably, but am glad another threat has appeared to MS's dominance in the OS market. I don't think most people realize to beat MS you don't have to have your operating system installed on 90% of the desktops out there. Just enough to disrupt them enough to put them on the defensive, which this will definitely do. Also, Ubuntu is getting better by leaps and bounds with every new version.

milosh

Reaction score
There are some rumours that say that Google did this to overshadow something that Microsoft is supposed to announce in the next few days. For netbooks, I like where moblin is going.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Not a fan of cloud computing though.

No internet = nothing can be done.

I have access the vast majority of the time but what about that small percentage I don't and I want to work on something e.g. travelling.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Interesting. Not a fan of cloud computing though.

No internet = nothing can be done.

I have access the vast majority of the time but what about that small percentage I don't and I want to work on something e.g. travelling.

ya I agree with this. I'm curious how cloud dependent this will be...surely not 100%....i mean take Google Apps for example...useful and all, but just outright not ready for primetime, so does that mean OpenOffice will be installed with some linkup to Google Apps for when people are not online or need features that the Google version just doesnt have yet?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Prediction: Regardless of whether or not 1000 new companies come out with new versions of Linux over the course of the next year - Win 7 will still crush them, drive them before it, and hear the lamentations of their women.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
TS + Bill Gates is the least likely alliance/pairing in the history of the world.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Prediction: Regardless of whether or not 1000 new companies come out with new versions of Linux over the course of the next year - Win 7 will still crush them, drive them before it, and hear the lamentations of their women.

Of course it will. Windows will be the dominant operating system for a long time to come, but as of now they are no longer in the cat bird seat and will face real competition. With competition Microsoft may want to listen to how their users want to use their computers rather than dictating to them how to use their hardware. It will be a win-win for everyone.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
depends what they stick on top of it.
Yeah Apple OSX is built on top of FreeBSD, which is a Unix OS. Nothing wrong at all w/ the Linux kernel. And to succeed they don't have to take 90% of the market share for PCs, all they have to do is show people there are alternatives out there. That in itself should send MS into a panic.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Somehow I don't think MS is anywhere near panic mode. When you can effectively sell your product to 80% of the total available customers in your market - Why would you change your product to appease the 20% many of whom are unlikely to buy your product even if you give them what they want?

I think that unless MS loses another 20% of market share in the next 10 years or so, they are going to keep on pushing out product according to what is likely the most successful business model in the history of free market enterprise.
smile.gif

I don't see MS losing market share. In fact, I'd be shocked if Win 7 didn't boost it slightly.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOL yeah monopolization is a pretty good business model. Let's see how they handle competition now, something they've never had to do before. When Netscape released the source code for its browser it pretty much meant the beginning of the end for their dominance. And your percentages are way too high. It certainly won't take a 20% loss in market share to send their stock prices into a tailspin. Companies live and die by margins. I see it as a slow death by a thousand cuts when more and more free alternatives are released tailored to specific uses and users. And that greatest business model on earth is being called into question now, read the Cathedral and the Bazaar. edit: The only way I see Windows 7 boosting their market share is if a ton of people decide to go out and buy new PCs...which in this economy I don't see happening.\\ see, it has already begun. http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/stor...FREE&cm_ite=NA

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
depends what they stick on top of it.
Don't get me wrong. It could be a good OS. It just won't be radically new or ground-breaking, and I was hoping for that. Basically, they are taking a Linux kernel and sticking an environment on top, like Apple did, which will give us yet another Unix clone. Big deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads