1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Goodwill vs. salvation army

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by esquire., Jul 4, 2004.

1. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

Is there any difference between these two places. There has to be something different between the two, but I don't what it is. And, does one find better clothing at one versus the other.

2. Tom

Tom Senior member

I think that they are two totally different organizations. Similar in function. As for where to find the best clothes, go to the used clothing stores that are closest to the rich section of your city. For example, if I go to San Francisco, and shop around near Pacific Heights, I am more likely to find good stuff than say, in the Haight Ashbury.

3. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

They are separate organizations, but both operate their thrift stores with donated clothing. The proceeds then go to support the organizations. Salvation Army, as the name implies, has a more overtly religious orientation. Tom gives the best advice: find the shops near wealthier areas where those with nice clothing are more likely to donate.

4. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

also a further clarification: thrift stores such as SA and GW are *generally* going to be cheaper and you have better chances of finding that hidden gem, than if you go to a 'vintage' clothing store or consignment shop. while it is true the quality at a for-profit shop might be higher and more consistent, you will also pay higher prices because they spent time and money doing the pre-selection.

the corollary is that at a thrift store you have to sort through racks full of corporate-logo polos before you find a regular ralph lauren.

if you're hard-core you find out what days they set out their new batch of clothes, and wait at the door for opening time.

/andrew - not hard-core (soft-core maybe)