Goodbye D&G

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ThatGuy, Jul 2, 2012.

1. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Senior member

Just heard that Dolce & Gabbana is killing their D&G line by end of year. I personally never bought anything from this line, but I do know it has been there for a while.

What does SF think of this? Does it mean rationalisation for the Fashion/ Clothing industry?

Discuss.

In b4 repost

2. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Good riddance to bad rubbish. I love Dolce and Gabanna, but i hated D&G, come to think about it i hate most off the diffusion lines, nothing against what they produce its just i always hated when people wore a $20 AX t shirt and go around screaming how its from "Armani"

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Jeff, I like you. I agree with most everything you say.

4. jlewis

jlewis Active Member

Heard about this a few weeks ago. I only own one item from D&G, a pair of jeans, which actually fits very well. And they also seem to be much better quality than stuff from other diffusion lines.

5. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Agreed. It is better.
    I have some of the shirts, denim pants, shoes and my better half has some stuff too. All great quality.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  6. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Good!! Then perhaps Armani and Ralph Lauren will kill off some of their heavily branded diffusion lines as well. Although "Emporio" and "Polo" must be real money spinners for them. Maybe bye bye to the wretched "Abercrombie & Fitch" as well "Burberry Brit".

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  7. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Senior member

Emporio Armani, RLBL and Just Cavalli are some higher end diffusion lines. Are all diffusion lines the same?

I think about DKNY. It is clearly not.in the same league as D&G or Emporio Armani. I also shudder at the thought of Armani Exchange.and their hideous AX belt that is so popular amongst young kids and Douchebags.

8. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

my one holiday party jacket (burgundy velvet) is from D&G. I like it, but I don't really care one way or the other about the D&G line folding.

9. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

D&G won't be missed. Too bad they incorporated some of the tacky D&G designs into the main line for the FW12/13 collection.

10. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

hermes man is not thrilled.

11. Amelorn

Amelorn Senior member

As far as diffusion lines go, D&G was fairly expensive, if I recall correctly. AX is priced for the masses, and Polo isn't a diffusion line. Now Lauren Ralph Lauren? I can only hope it gets discontinued. I agree with you though on Burberry Brit. 90% of it isn't worthwhile and looks painfully like cheap imitations of the London offerings IMO. (But, the cologne is nice, however).

12. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

I think "Polo" is their flagship brand, with black label/purple label being the high end ones. Just like what Burberry did with Burberry Porusum(sp?). Btw i just read online that they are discontinuing D&G because they want to follow Chanel's business model of having only one brand.

13. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

My own only garment from Dolce & Gabbana is a grey D&G sports jacket purchased in 2006, that I still wear casually (autumn/winter), normally with cords.

Diffusion lines are not all bad, you can find garments for more casual occasions (e.g. Z Zegna) and if you are in your late teens or early twenties, you do not want to spend thousands on clothing you want to wear for only 6/12/24 months.