1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Winter Jacket for 18 year old

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Getting Into Style, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Getting Into Style

Getting Into Style Member

Hey, i'm going to be going up north this coming winter for college and it's really cold for half the year. what is a good, stylish, warm, not too pricey jacket that would fit a college bound freshman. i want to look mature, yet stylish. any suggestions?

2. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

A duffel coat, my friend. It's my go-to winter coat.

3. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

I like the duffel coat but I don't own any.

I have considered a classic Burberry one, I have to take one size smaller though otherwise it is cut way too big, or is it intended to be worn like that ?

Conne, Where can you find one "not to pricey" ?

I'd say for a 18 yo, a cool and cheap winter coat would be a peacoat. You can find those at H&M

4. The_Game07

The_Game07 Senior member

I like the duffel coat but I don't own any.

I have considered a classic Burberry one, I have to take one size smaller though otherwise it is cut way too big, or is it intended to be worn like that ?

Conne, Where can you find one "not to pricey" ?

I'd say for a 18 yo, a cool and cheap winter coat would be a peacoat. You can find those at H&M

Great suggestion, and was thinking of that myself.

5. Hugo

Hugo Senior member

Maby a trench? Look very good on most people imo.

6. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

You should ask this question on the streetwear forum, not here where you will get a lot of "old man" suggestions like Conne's.

7. playdohh22

playdohh22 Senior member

You should ask this question on the streetwear forum, not here where you will get a lot of "old man" suggestions like Conne's.

haha I agree. duffel coats don't look as good as when put on older men IMO. You should try a peacoat.

8. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

So for the OP's information

older man duffle coat
    [​IMG]

young man peacoat
    [​IMG]

9. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

10. kjm

kjm Senior member

I actually just got the down Patagonia jacket (in black) as a Christmas present. I'm very happy with it. It's a pretty casual look. After all the material is nylon (or something similar). If that's not a problem, I'd recommend it. The jacket really keeps the warmth in while providing a trimmer look than most down jackets.

11. neon

neon Active Member

I suggest peacoat too. But what I don't like is why you're worried about "for 18 year old" thing. Age shouldn't dictate your clothing choices, at least not in major part. There is no one piece of clothing that couldn't be worn young.

12. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

I would agree with old man Conne. The duffle coat is the way to go. I believe BB has their moleskin duffle (chocolate brown) at half price, but you can find duffles cheaper than that and brown isn't as versatile as other colors. Very collegiate looking.

As a college student, I would stay away from trench coats. Not a great winter coat if it's really cold and showing up to class with a trench coat on is gonna make you look a little...weird?

13. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Just get a North Face in your school colors of a fleece like everyone else.

14. thinman

thinman Senior member

I really like my peacoat, but when temperatures get below about 30F, I go with a longer, heavier coat. My peacoat just doesn't cut it (it's not long enough) when the wind chill is 0F or below.

15. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

If it's cold for half the year like you said, I'd get a shearling car coat.

16. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I used to live in Michigan and I don't mess around with that weather. Personally I would wear a full 700 loft down liner with a waterproof shell. Windproof gloves are key as well.

17. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

[​IMG]

So very true.

Jon.

18. playdohh22

playdohh22 Senior member

Its freezing here in NYC, especially the past day and today. Has anything to do with global warming ? I heard its like 40 in Florida ! Anyway back on topic... What would be a good coat for me to get past this cold winter ? I am only 16, so I don't know if a three quarter overcoat would suit me. [​IMG] Anyone here have any suggestions and I'm not really looking for the street wear style. Would like some opinion from older men instead. Thanks in advance!

19. neon

neon Active Member

http://sc7img.dillards.com/is/image/...GJmCcZCBpUyMYi

does this look good? or not?

Don't buy this jacket unless you're going to use it for skiing. Almost anything is better than this. Duffel coat is probably best option considering that you want something warm and stylish. Do yourself a favor and use "search" feature on this forum to learn what members recommended previously.