• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Voice-To-Text Conversion Software?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was hoping someone could recommend some decent voice to text software. This is something I've wanted for some time but I'm afraid I know very little about.

I'm open to spending a fair amount of money for something decent quality. My computer has a good built-in microphone, but I'm also open to purchasing a peripheral one if necessary.

This seems to me like it could be a real lifesaver for writing papers for school, and also really helpful for scripting performances/presentations.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used Dragon Naturally Speaking in the past. It's not perfect and it takes some time to train i.e. to get used to your pronunciation/speech patterns, but I was quite surprised at how well it worked. I recently read some reviews of version 10 (I used 9.5) and what little feedback I saw suggested that it was a significant improvement.

An external mic would almost be a must.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot.

I'm looking at the site and it seems like Dragon is exactly what I want. It does come with a headset, do you think I would need to buy one beyond it? Also did you have experience with the basic or professional version?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Medical.

I don't think they have a trial on their site. My honest advice is to check thepiratebay for a torrent (read the comments to see if it is working and if people are having problems with it) and try it for a while (thing is that you won't have a proper mic). If you like it, then buy it. You may find that it doesn't work exactly how you may expect.

Tip: if getting a mic, buy a USB one.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a good review from a trusted source. http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/...-10-review.ars
The recognition engine in version 10 is nothing short of stunning. You can literally install the software, run through a five-minute training process, and start dictating with near-total accuracy. If you've never done it before, the process will likely leave you staring in goggle-eyed wonder at your screen, sputtering sentence after sentence into your headset in an attempt to see what the program can't do.
That's pretty impressive IMO.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"Goggle-eyed wonder"

Heh-heh.

snowjoe

Reaction score
I have also heard that Dragon Naturally Speaking is the best choice. The newest version is supposed to be quite good

x26

Reaction score
I believe it is included in Office 2007.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dragon has always been the standard, but I can't imagine this technique actually saves time unless you are completely incompetent as a typist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads