• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Voice-To-Text Conversion Software?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was hoping someone could recommend some decent voice to text software. This is something I've wanted for some time but I'm afraid I know very little about.

I'm open to spending a fair amount of money for something decent quality. My computer has a good built-in microphone, but I'm also open to purchasing a peripheral one if necessary.

This seems to me like it could be a real lifesaver for writing papers for school, and also really helpful for scripting performances/presentations.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used Dragon Naturally Speaking in the past. It's not perfect and it takes some time to train i.e. to get used to your pronunciation/speech patterns, but I was quite surprised at how well it worked. I recently read some reviews of version 10 (I used 9.5) and what little feedback I saw suggested that it was a significant improvement.

An external mic would almost be a must.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot.

I'm looking at the site and it seems like Dragon is exactly what I want. It does come with a headset, do you think I would need to buy one beyond it? Also did you have experience with the basic or professional version?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Medical.

I don't think they have a trial on their site. My honest advice is to check thepiratebay for a torrent (read the comments to see if it is working and if people are having problems with it) and try it for a while (thing is that you won't have a proper mic). If you like it, then buy it. You may find that it doesn't work exactly how you may expect.

Tip: if getting a mic, buy a USB one.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a good review from a trusted source. http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/...-10-review.ars
The recognition engine in version 10 is nothing short of stunning. You can literally install the software, run through a five-minute training process, and start dictating with near-total accuracy. If you've never done it before, the process will likely leave you staring in goggle-eyed wonder at your screen, sputtering sentence after sentence into your headset in an attempt to see what the program can't do.
That's pretty impressive IMO.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"Goggle-eyed wonder"

Heh-heh.

snowjoe

Reaction score
I have also heard that Dragon Naturally Speaking is the best choice. The newest version is supposed to be quite good

x26

Reaction score
I believe it is included in Office 2007.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dragon has always been the standard, but I can't imagine this technique actually saves time unless you are completely incompetent as a typist.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 131 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 248 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.7%
  • 31 - 40