• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good value parkas

radio3

Reaction score
I’d love to be able to afford a Moose Knuckles parka (see attached the nice one). They’re freakin beautiful and your greatest friend in the world 3 months of the year. However, my budget is probably really for something like a Uniqlo parka (see attached the bland one). If only they weren’t so dreary looking.

Anyone have any suggestions on a really nice looking parka that works well and might be a cut above the Uniqlo, but still very affordable?

Attachments

• 81402B6D-3CFF-4086-8F2D-7083C2E2EA32.jpeg
    81402B6D-3CFF-4086-8F2D-7083C2E2EA32.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 167
  • 276CCCC1-9CA0-4328-B8C5-9E61B00500E7.jpeg
    276CCCC1-9CA0-4328-B8C5-9E61B00500E7.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 166

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The range of parkas is all over the board. A lot depends on the features that are important. How cold is the temperature during the winter there? And how much time are you spending outside? How wet is it? Lots of the thin baffled jackes like that uniqlo really aren't very warm - especially when it is windy. The outer shell is designed to be light and fashionable (which is fine when it's not really cold or wet) but if it's really cold you need a better shell material. And, of course, if you're only ever outside for just 5-10 minutes at a time it's not as critical - but if you're outside for an hour or more, it becomes problematic. When buying a winter coat, start with requirements around how cold, how wet and for how long.

radio3

Reaction score
The range of parkas is all over the board. A lot depends on the features that are important. How cold is the temperature during the winter there? And how much time are you spending outside? How wet is it? Lots of the thin baffled jackes like that uniqlo really aren't very warm - especially when it is windy. The outer shell is designed to be light and fashionable (which is fine when it's not really cold or wet) but if it's really cold you need a better shell material. And, of course, if you're only ever outside for just 5-10 minutes at a time it's not as critical - but if you're outside for an hour or more, it becomes problematic. When buying a winter coat, start with requirements around how cold, how wet and for how long.

Well, I’m in The northern half of Europe, so it is pretty cold, but a I don’t spend a huge amount of time outside. Do you know of any warm jackets say around the $300-500 price range that are remotely as nice as a moose knuckles or Canada goose? I don’t need extreme weather survivability. But you are right something like that Uniqlo is not enough. So I do both want more style and more warmth.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the top of your budget, but I would look at Fjallraven - they're a well made jacket and definitely have the warmth factor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads