• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Traveling pants

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to Study in Russia this summer, (St. Petersburg) for 6 weeks. However my casual clothing is mostly made up of jeans and then goes to suits and dress shirts. I'm looking for a good, cheap chinos' or dress pants to wear while i'm over there. They need to travel well as i don't want to have to find a dry cleaner or pull out my pants incredible wrinkled once i get there. My problem is they will be in my duffle bag for 3 days (We have a 3 day layover/orientation in London) so they will most likely be wrinkled. Anyone have any recommendations on brands or styles to look at? The cheaper the better because i probibly won't be wearing these much once i come back.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suggestion: Thin-wale corduroy suit. Both jacket and trousers can be worn separately, and if you get one with a reasonably close-cut, slim fit, you avoid the professor look. I have several, and always use them for travelling.

Haystack

Reaction score
For wool pants I'd consider the Lands End Tailored Fit Year Rounders in their 70's merino wool. They wear like iron and are only $60; maybe cheaper if they have some in their overstocks.

Maybe try Target for their Chinos.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Haystack
For wool pants I'd consider the Lands End Tailored Fit Year Rounders in their 70's merino wool. They wear like iron and are only $60; maybe cheaper if they have some in their overstocks.

Maybe try Target for their Chinos.

How is the fit on those? They sound interesting.

Haystack

Reaction score
LE's tailored fit pants are certainly not trim fit, but they are not really big and baggy either. They are not as high rise or as baggy as a typical pair of men's dress pants from say Zanella, Ballin, or Majer.

The fabric on the wool pants is nothing great but it wears well and doesn't wrinkle and works nicely for my university Lecturer job.

I have several pairs of their cotton tailored fit pants as well, a couple pairs are orange/brown plaid and make great golf pants and fun work pants.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Haystack
LE's tailored fit pants are certainly not trim fit, but they are not really big and baggy either. They are not as high rise or as baggy as a typical pair of men's dress pants from say Zanella, Ballin, or Majer.

The fabric on the wool pants is nothing great but it wears well and doesn't wrinkle and works nicely for my university Lecturer job.

I have several pairs of their cotton tailored fit pants as well, a couple pairs are orange/brown plaid and make great golf pants and fun work pants.

Interesting. Thank you Haystack.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BAD traveling pants:

200px-Sisterhood_of_the_traveling_pants.jpg

Honestly, if you're basically going to get rid of them when you're done, I'd go to a local low priced department store or Target, and get whatever fits best for the lowest price. Though there are obviously exceptions, it has been my experience that men in Russia do not dress well. Also, it won't be too hot there in the summer, so you can get away with a poly-blend.

Oh, and try to find a day to go out to Peterhof.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Checked out landsend and they have a lot of stuff that looks good, just not a lot in my size. Probiby gonna check out H&M as well as the local outlets soon. Thanks for the recomendations so far.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mm, a pair of trouser-cut jeans looks dressy and wears hard at the same time, I find. Otherwise, if you can get a sort of military twill in a less cargo-pocketed cut, that might work...

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have jean pocket styled chino type cotton pants from mandarina duck and samsonite black label that i use for travel all the time and they hold up very well with a minimal of wrinkling given they're designed for travel

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It matters more how you pack. Roll your slacks.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
If you're looking for disposable and cheap, try a few thrift stores. You can find good quality at times, as well, but for khakis, etc. they can be a good source.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads