1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Traveling pants

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Apr 26, 2006.

1. demeis

demeis Senior member

I'm going to Study in Russia this summer, (St. Petersburg) for 6 weeks. However my casual clothing is mostly made up of jeans and then goes to suits and dress shirts. I'm looking for a good, cheap chinos' or dress pants to wear while i'm over there. They need to travel well as i don't want to have to find a dry cleaner or pull out my pants incredible wrinkled once i get there. My problem is they will be in my duffle bag for 3 days (We have a 3 day layover/orientation in London) so they will most likely be wrinkled. Anyone have any recommendations on brands or styles to look at? The cheaper the better because i probibly won't be wearing these much once i come back.

2. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Suggestion: Thin-wale corduroy suit. Both jacket and trousers can be worn separately, and if you get one with a reasonably close-cut, slim fit, you avoid the professor look. I have several, and always use them for travelling.

3. Haystack

Haystack Well-Known Member

For wool pants I'd consider the Lands End Tailored Fit Year Rounders in their 70's merino wool. They wear like iron and are only $60; maybe cheaper if they have some in their overstocks.

Maybe try Target for their Chinos.

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

For wool pants I'd consider the Lands End Tailored Fit Year Rounders in their 70's merino wool. They wear like iron and are only $60; maybe cheaper if they have some in their overstocks.

Maybe try Target for their Chinos.

How is the fit on those? They sound interesting.

5. Haystack

Haystack Well-Known Member

LE's tailored fit pants are certainly not trim fit, but they are not really big and baggy either. They are not as high rise or as baggy as a typical pair of men's dress pants from say Zanella, Ballin, or Majer.

The fabric on the wool pants is nothing great but it wears well and doesn't wrinkle and works nicely for my university Lecturer job.

I have several pairs of their cotton tailored fit pants as well, a couple pairs are orange/brown plaid and make great golf pants and fun work pants.

6. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

LE's tailored fit pants are certainly not trim fit, but they are not really big and baggy either. They are not as high rise or as baggy as a typical pair of men's dress pants from say Zanella, Ballin, or Majer.

The fabric on the wool pants is nothing great but it wears well and doesn't wrinkle and works nicely for my university Lecturer job.

I have several pairs of their cotton tailored fit pants as well, a couple pairs are orange/brown plaid and make great golf pants and fun work pants.

Interesting. Thank you Haystack.

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

This seems to run contrary to common sense, but I've had good luck traveling with linen/cotton blend pants. They're great if you can spritz them with water and leave them to hang.

8. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

BAD traveling pants:

[​IMG]

Honestly, if you're basically going to get rid of them when you're done, I'd go to a local low priced department store or Target, and get whatever fits best for the lowest price. Though there are obviously exceptions, it has been my experience that men in Russia do not dress well. Also, it won't be too hot there in the summer, so you can get away with a poly-blend.

Oh, and try to find a day to go out to Peterhof.

9. demeis

demeis Senior member

Checked out landsend and they have a lot of stuff that looks good, just not a lot in my size. Probiby gonna check out H&M as well as the local outlets soon. Thanks for the recomendations so far.

10. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

Mm, a pair of trouser-cut jeans looks dressy and wears hard at the same time, I find. Otherwise, if you can get a sort of military twill in a less cargo-pocketed cut, that might work...

11. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

12. hermes

hermes Senior member

i have jean pocket styled chino type cotton pants from mandarina duck and samsonite black label that i use for travel all the time and they hold up very well with a minimal of wrinkling given they're designed for travel

13. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

It matters more how you pack. Roll your slacks.

14. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

You could try ordering Target's custom khakis. I think they're only $40 a pair. May be worth it - I have no experience with them.

15. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

If you're looking for disposable and cheap, try a few thrift stores. You can find good quality at times, as well, but for khakis, etc. they can be a good source.

16. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    How can any discussion of traveling pants not include reference to Baron Von Trapp's spiffy duds in Sound of Music?

[​IMG]
    (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

17. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Hey demeis, this is off topic but, I've studied in St. Petersburg before and I just wanted to tell you that it's one of the best cities in the world (that I've been to at least). Hopefully you'll be there during White Nights, when it's daytime just about 24 hours and there's basically a non-stop party going on all over the city. Just make sure you get home before the bridges close. [​IMG]

18. andrebaron

andrebaron Active Member

Try the Gaps' wrinkle resistant, all cotton chinos, on sale for 17 bucks--can't beat that

19. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member