• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Trail Running Shoes

mylesmyles

Reaction score
I've started to do more trail running of late, and although my Adidas Trail Response 16's are very comfortable, I find that on alot of trails they don't provide my toes the protection that I need (which has resulted in numerous stubbed toes). Has anyone had any good experiences with more sturdy trail running shoes.

I'm a neutral/ cushioned runner, and it seems like many opf the trail running shoes I've looked at provide more of a stability foot bed. (I like the look of the Salomons but it seems like most all their trail runners are stability shoes).

Any inshight would be appreciated.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i did buy these at the adidas store in soho:

http://www.shopadidas.com/product/in...GCSE&sv=G15700
pADIDAS1-6470823_pattern_w345a.jpg

they're pretty minimal, very low profile (low heel) at less than 7oz, and run very big ( sized down a whole size). They would be great for people with wide feet.

I was in maine 3 weeks ago and snuck onto a trail in Acadia National Park (there were a bunch of signs saying the trails were closed) and did a good 3 miles before stubbing my left foot on a huge root stumbling and almost falling off a cliff to my death.

When I got to the hotel to my wife I ended up lying about how I slipped on a curb and fell on a sidewalk.

Other than skinned knees i was ok, and importantly my toe was fine. The adidas daroga held up great, and I'm going to use them for more trail running this summer.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in love with the New Balance MT100. I have taken them on numerous day hikes (15-20mile) and now run with them on the road. I could go on and on about how great they are. The rock guard actually works. You are looking for something sturdier, but give these a look anyway: http://www.newbalance.com/products/MT100/

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Check out Roadrunner Sports, you can separate by trail and neutral/neutral +.

The Adizero XT is supposed to be pretty good. I use the Supernova Riot, which may have too much support for you.

mikej77

Reaction score
Take a look at Inov-8 shoes. They make some great trail runners.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
I am in love with the New Balance MT100. I have taken them on numerous day hikes (15-20mile) and now run with them on the road. I could go on and on about how great they are. The rock guard actually works. You are looking for something sturdier, but give these a look anyway: http://www.newbalance.com/products/MT100/
+1. Just switched to these from some other pairs of NB and these are pretty spectacular. Probably pick up another pair soon. Most of my miles are trail so I'll see how they hold up over a lot of mileage cause they are essentially a flat.

mylesmyles

Reaction score
Although I am a fan of the natual running thing (run in VFF's once a week) for what I was looking for I need something much more rugged - and more protective in the toe box than my adidas response trail 16's.

Decided to go with the Montrail Masochist - well reviewed and very comfortable. I'll see how they are this weekend when I take them out for their first run.

8521-807863-d.jpg

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
I've had numerous pairs of New Balance and they've all surpassed expectations. I would highly recommend any of their shoes. The best I've had were the MT100 and I continue to keep a pair. Best of all, sometimes you can score some on the cheap at Marshalls or TJMaxx

matt22616

Reaction score
Inov8, Salomon, and Montrail are the best in that order.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
I am in love with the New Balance MT100. I have taken them on numerous day hikes (15-20mile) and now run with them on the road. I could go on and on about how great they are. The rock guard actually works. You are looking for something sturdier, but give these a look anyway:

http://www.newbalance.com/products/MT100/

+1
I just ran a 10k road race in a pair last weekend.
They rub on the back of my ankles, though, but I've learned to suck it up...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads