• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Tie Brands?

graywolf97

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to dressing well, so please forgive this question if it is too broad or ambiguous. There is a women's consignment shop in my town that has a small collection of men's wear. They have quite a few ties and I don't believe the owner knows much about the quality of ties. For instance, you can get a stafford tie there for pretty much the same price as a brooks brothers tie. That being said, there are plenty of brands there that I am not familiar with. I was wondering if the style forum members might be able to help me with this. For instance, is Paul Frederick a good brand? If it helps, I could potentially go and take some notes and pictures of the ties to post here and get your advice.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's your budget?
smile.gif

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the material looks nice and it ties a good knot - it is good enough for me.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several ties from J Crew. They are handmade in the USA and are 100% silk. I receive several compliments about them. They run up to $60.00

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hilditch and Key, John Comfort, Stefano Ricci,
Massimo Bizzochi, Sulka (no longer made) if can find them

Dinky89484

Reaction score
I might be hated on for saying this, but, I like Express ties. Price point is good too!

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for Drakes.

Best ties I've owned. Ever.

I've worn ties from the likes of Zegna, Ricci, Kiton, Borrelli, and Hermes (silk... not green pebbled leather), but Drakes takes the top spot imho. Way, way cheaper, and exquisitely handmade.

Also partial to E.G. Cappelli ties via the ASW (A Suitable Wardrobe) online haberdashery.

Hadrian

Reaction score
Drakes and Marinella.

Kiton, Borrelli, and Barba as well.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything not polyester and has a good design is good enough for me.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hadrian
Drakes and Marinella.

Kiton, Borrelli, and Barba as well.

I would add Cappellis and Hober to the list. Both Kent and Howard Yount also make some good ties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads