• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good tailors in Toronto?

ahk1979

Reaction score
Anyone know of any, specifically for altering denim?

minya

Reaction score
I'd like to know this, too. I have a pair of Dior jeans I'd like slimmed/tapered.

flashback

Reaction score
bump -

anyone know? I'm in TO right now and looking to get some jeans hemmed.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stitch-It in the TD Centre at Bay-King does all my alterations including tapering of jeans, taking in waist and seat, etc.

Michael1981

Reaction score
I wouldnt trust stitch it with my Diors or anything worth wearing. Actually I would not trust stitch it with any of my alterations period.

Maybe bring it to Sydney's. 799 Queen Street West. He is a custom tailor (Bespoke). But may take your alterations if you request it. Another option would be to bring it to nikos on Cumberland. Both ppl have experience working with more fashion fits and are very competent.

Another option might to be to take it to Rosens or Holts. I've worked for both companies, they recruit the best alterations ppl in the city since they pay the highest, and as long as you get a good fitter to work on it and you are clear with what you want they are more than competent enough to peg the leg on a pair of trousers.

I find that with alterations if you are not clear with what you want and leave it to the taste and imagination of the alterations person you will very rarely come out happy.

doink

Reaction score
Studio Kim on King Street West near Strachan has been suggested to me by a few places (Klaxon Howl, Body Blu).

No personal experience though.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah i agree with Stich It, i only go there for my khakies and pants. But for of the high end items or jackets I would have to go with somebody else.

bishop24

Reaction score
Back when I didn't know any better and left a lot of the choices to the tailors whom I brought clothes in to alter, I had 3 or 4 trousers hemmed at Stitch It, based on the recommendation of some saleswoman at Club Monaco just down the street on Bloor.

Granted, I didn't know any better and so it was partially my fault in that I wasn't firm at all in what I wanted, but all of the trousers were universally hemmed way too short. Completely circumstantial, but the fact that it's located in the basement food court of the Manulife has always made me feel like it's a place that profits from volume, largely benefiting from the sheer mass of people that pour through the area via subway or on their lunch break--with little care or attention paid to the individual.

Incidentally, I had a few of those same trousers brought to Nikos who did his best to correct the mistakes of the past and let them out again the best he could. I've always been happy with Nikos's work, but I am no expert.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Short pants do suck. Yeah most Stitch places are set up in high volume areas.

machiavelli

Reaction score
Recently, I've been taking some of my pieces to Paul's Tailors up at Bathurst and 401. They've done a fairly good job of altering what I've brought in -- ie shortened sleeves and brought in the sides on an EG jacket for me recently (even managing to keep the finished seems on the inside) which anyone who's handled an EG piece knows is difficult cuz their stuff has such complex structuring.

Was at Nomad last saturday to pick up my EG vest from being tailored and they told me they send everything to a lady located just north of Queen on John St., west side I think inside a dry cleaners. Fellow said they send all their items there for tailoring and claimed Holt's sends stuff there as well.

Pemah

Reaction score
I know I'm about a 2 years too late, but if anyone is still looking for a place to alter denim I know an awesome spot! Studio Kim on King Street West does great repair jobs and alterations. My wife recommends them here... http://www.gigpark.com/recommendations/1070010l Hope this helps!

imstr8trippin

Reaction score
just took 6 shirts to get shortened and 1 blazer for sleeve length into studio kim. what a nice lady. hope she does good work. she is extremely busy. the place was FULL of clothes. decent prices. $8 for straight hem, $12 for curved hem on shirts.

i'll report back in a few days on how good of a job she does.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads