• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good tailors in Guangzhou?

redpoppy

Reaction score
Hi,

I visit GZ at least once a year. It is the only place in China that I will be staying so I don't get the chance to goto Shenzhen, HK or Shanghai. It's been hard for me to find a proper tailor there.
Does anyone know of a good tailor in the GZ area? I have no clues.

Thanks

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really. Your best bet is to try and find a tailor in a hotel. Many are often on contract from HKG. But be aware, quality can vary widely. I'd also suggest bringing your own fabric.

Gentleman8

Reaction score
I used to live in GZ and never found a good tailor (doesn't mean there isn't any, of course, I didn't look that hard).

There's a custom made service in the Friendship Store on HuanShi Lu (the main road).

Are you going there for the trade fair? If so, I would be wary. Many things (not just hotel rooms) are more expensive during that period.

Of course Sam's in HKG is a classic.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gentleman8

Of course Sam's in HKG is a classic.

If you are at Sam's, I think (and I believe most knowledgeable forumites would concur in this) you would be much better served by going up the stairs to the second floor where W.W.Chan & Sons may be found.

Gentleman8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
...you would be much better served by going up the stairs to the second floor where W.W.Chan & Sons may be found.

Indeed? Thank you for the information.
I've had a good experience in Kowloon (HKG) but much less so in Thailand.
Someone told me once that all these shops are just front offices and that the owners all use the same independent tailors to actually make your suit.. Don't know if this true though..

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
this is definately true for the indian taliors i am not so sure about the chinese but i have heard a romour saying it is!

christ64

Reaction score
Hello,

I have just joined this forum and I am probably going to ask a stupid question but ....

I have to say that I have been so far disapointed with the tailors I commissioned. As I wanted to see first the result before to commit to bigger jobs I just asked them to make me pants.
One time in Thailand (Indian) and the other time in Malaysia (Spark Manshop).

In both cases I have found that the quality was not up to what I can get by buying a Zegna pant out of the rack (the finishing has been very much better with the zegna stuff and I am not talking about the fabric).
What I saw on suits tends to confort me in this opinion.

Is it just that I have had only bad exeperiences ... or going for instance to a Zegna shop or similar standard gives you a better overall quality? ( Btw I love Zegna fabrics).
Thanks for your comments

Chris

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by christ64
Hello,

I have just joined this forum and I am probably going to ask a stupid question but ....

I have to say that I have been so far disapointed with the tailors I commissioned. As I wanted to see first the result before to commit to bigger jobs I just asked them to make me pants.
One time in Thailand (Indian) and the other time in Malaysia (Spark Manshop).

In both cases I have found that the quality was not up to what I can get by buying a Zegna pant out of the rack (the finishing has been very much better with the zegna stuff and I am not talking about the fabric).
What I saw on suits tends to confort me in this opinion.

Is it just that I have had only bad exeperiences ... or going for instance to a Zegna shop or similar standard gives you a better overall quality? ( Btw I love Zegna fabrics).
Thanks for your comments

Chris

There are definitely better tailors which you can get under a price of a zegna suit, which yield better results

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
If you are at Sam's, I think (and I believe most knowledgeable forumites would concur in this) you would be much better served by going up the stairs to the second floor where W.W.Chan & Sons may be found.

Sams is simply a tourist oriented rag shop. Far better to go to Chan (upstairs), Gordon Yao or William Yu on Mody Road.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
this is definately true for the indian taliors i am not so sure about the chinese but i have heard a romour saying it is!

For many it is true - purely shop fronts. Worse are the touts on the street.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
copy rolex - handbag, yep they piss you off! but they can be useful coz this is how i found custom shoes in HK so they are not all bad!
lol8[1].gif

sheila

Reaction score
Hi,

I would love to get some custommade shoes in HK. Can you send me the adress?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi,

This thread is about tailors - assuming that you are not a troll which is highly likely use the search function or Google. You have contributed nothing and expect to be spoon fed?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi,

This thread is about tailors - assuming that you are not a troll which is highly likely use the search function or Google. You have contributed nothing and expect to be spoon fed?
look for the thread Zee's leather ware

megamix52

Reaction score
i know of a very experienced tailor in guangzhou,he speaks perfect english and gets the job done with exceptional detail and finess,i have always been impressed by his suits,his name is james and telephone number is 008613066330521.try him and testify

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads