Good Tailors in Bangalore and Chennai (India)?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bespoke_newbie, Dec 18, 2004.

1. bespoke_newbie

bespoke_newbie Member

Dear All,

First I would like to thank all the great posters of this excellent forum and particularly Mr Kabbaz (Alex, each of your posts enlighten my day.).

Now, back to the topic. I'll be visiting Bangalore and Chennai in a couple of weeks (for a 4 weeks trip) and I'd like to have some comments and information on local tailors.

I heard good things about Syed Bawkher in Chennai but after googling a bit i must say that I'm pretty confused...
    I found indeed 3 different Syed Bawkher shops in Chennai and one in Bangalore. Do any of you had any experience with one of them (please specify) and can explain me their differences/relationships?

I'm really looking for the best Indian tailors/shirtmakers and I'm not interested in tourist traps. I would like to have a long-term relationship with them because being impossible to fit with rtw and living in a country (Belgium) where bespoke is way beyond my budget, I see that as a real opportunity to fulfill my sartorial needs without having to eat pasta till the end of my life...

Any advices, comments, good tips, addresses are welcome. For example, I'm sure that Indian tailors can make very high quality suits/shirts but what about the cut? I have to say that I'm afraid that the cut can be very 'boring' to say the least...

My last question is about Indian fabrics. Raymond fabrics seem to be a very famous brand but can someone give me some info on how they compare with good Italian or British brands? I have visisted their website but pictures are not available...but they seem to have a very broad choice of fabrics, even 200's. I suppose that due to the high import taxes it will be a better deal to stick to Indian fabrics but you may have other advices...

Thanks in advance for your help guys,
    Bespoke_newbie
    Belgium

P.S: I will post this topic to the styleforum and AA forums, I hope it will not be considered as an offense.

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

My understanding is that Syed Bawkher in Bangalore is run by the brother of the one in Chennai. I am planning a trip to Bangalore in July and would love also to hear what others know, and, of course, what you find out. It has been my intention to visit Syed Bawkher in Bangalore. An earlier thread addressed some of this, and I've heard the S. Bawkher in Chennai might be superior, but I doubt I'll be in Chennai enough (if at all) to use them.

3. bespoke_newbie

bespoke_newbie Member

Dear AlanC, You can count on me to have a feedback from my Indian trip. I also think that they are familly related but I send a mail to www.syedbawkher.com site (Chennai) asking if they were related to the Bangalore shop and he told me that they were'nt. Of course they have to protect their own busines... Cheers, Bespoke_newbie

4. bespoke_newbie

bespoke_newbie Member

Any info on Vaish or other tailor/shirtmakers in Delhi is also welcome. I think I'm gonna try to book 4 days in Delhi just to go to Vaish. 250$ for hand-made suit sounds like a deal.

Cheers,
    Bespoke_newbie

5. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Do some searching on her and on AskAndy regarding Vaish. I'm in the midst of trying to place a first order from him, and am waiting for swatches.

A gentleman with the handle of Panzeraxe had a few suits made there (mentioned in AskAndy) and praised them.

6. bespoke_newbie

bespoke_newbie Member

Thanks chorse123, gonna have a look.
    If you order from Vaish (mtm if I understand correctly), please give us some feedback.
    Cheers

7. bespoke_newbie

bespoke_newbie Member

Housemaidsknee, I saw that you mentionned syed bawkher in Chennai as being praised by some of your friends. Is it possible to have more information as I'm still confused about the 4 different Syed's in Chennai and Bangalore.

If you have other good tips, you're welcome
    Cheers

8. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Newbie,

Yes, what I am planning on ordering will be made to measure, though I will tweak the measurements for subsequent orders, provided the first is close enough, to get garments closer to perfection. I know it isn't true bespoke, but it's a tenth of the price.

And yes, please do document your experience for us. If you have a digital camera, I'd love to see what Vaish's shop looks like.

9. bespoke_newbie

bespoke_newbie Member

Chorse,
    Good idea the pictures of the shop/workshop, I'll try to do that

Good luck for your mtm experience ;-)

10. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Not to troll, but does anyone know dependable tailors in Bombay (fully canvassed suiting, good cloth, etc)?

11. bespoke_newbie

bespoke_newbie Member

Thanks for the tip Mack.

I have indeed found that a few tailors in Bangalore are located in 'Commercial Street'. There is even a Syed Bawkher shop there but I still don't know if and how they are related to the already mentionned shop in Chennai... I'll try to investigate and let you know about my experiences.

Rjman, If I am able to find good info about tailors in Bombay, I'll let you know too.

Cheers

12. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

yes, if you go down a bit, you will find a whole thread on that. but, in short, kachins is probrably the best tailor in india. located in the "old air conditioner market" in tordao (your driver will know). but this isn't the kind of place that will throw you together a 24 hour suit.

13. bespoke_newbie

bespoke_newbie Member

Globetrotter, is rashins also make suits? And do you know how much time is needed to have the appropriate fittings? I'm also interetsted in finding a tailor that I can order from Belgium after having had the necessary fittings.

Thanks for your answer,
    François

14. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

kachins makes suits. I had pretty specific wants, and I am shaped funny, so it would usually take 3 or 4 fittings to get a suit that I was completly happy with. Later suits they could do without the first steps, but would usually do 2 fittings for.

if you want shirts, then Maharajas in the Taj Mahal hotel at the gate of india. I know they will make shirts and send them to you, once you have been fitted.
    both of these are top notch.

15. bespoke_newbie

bespoke_newbie Member

thanks globetrotter, if I have the time I will try them for sure.