Good Tailor? Richmond VA?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bunnyoswaldo, May 14, 2010.

1. bunnyoswaldo

bunnyoswaldo Senior member

Anyone have any recommendations? I have tried Zimm and he seems capable of doing hems and repairs, but not true 'fit tailoring'. I have tried Vincent and he is quite pricey and again does not seem to have the patience to really get the fit right.

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Yeah, Zim is sort of over rated. Haven't tried anyone since.

3. bunnyoswaldo

bunnyoswaldo Senior member

In asking the question, I should have defined my expectations. Obviously I am aware that a RTW suit will probably never be as well fit as a MTM. That being said, I don't think it too much to have a tailor interested in more than just the vertical and horizontal sizing (sleeves, pant legs, waist). As well, I am not that interested in someone who will tell me how "if I was doing a MTM then...". Is it unrealistic that one can locate a nice (Oxxford, Brioni, Canali, Borelli, upper end Hickey or such) and so long as it generally fits well, have it tailored so it looks good? The best guy I have ever found is the guy who owns Franco's...but I'd prefer not to pay retail to get a good tailor. If I am washed up or wrong in my expectations, pls whack me on the head.

4. v1100110

v1100110 Well-Known Member

Subscribing in case someone offers a good recommendation. I've just been using cheap tailors. They get the job done, but I'm in looking for someone better to go to.

5. TheBlackBruceWayne

TheBlackBruceWayne Senior member

was going to a tailor not far from francos on lakeside ave...but he died [​IMG] anyone tried the one on bellvue? pardon me i'm only familiar with those on the northside of town

6. Kei-bon

Kei-bon Senior member

Bumping this in hopes someone has a recommendation. In addition to some hemming, I also need a sportcoat taken in at the waist ...

7. pat pearson

pat pearson Senior member

Thanks for the bump. If anyone finds a good one post up. Ill try my luck here in a few weeks on one of my coats and suits and post up.

8. etherscreen

etherscreen Active Member

bump. tried zimm and waiting on the result. my expectations aren't terribly high. looking for someone who really cares about nailing the fit.