1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good tailor in Vancouver?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by office drone, Sep 16, 2006.

1. lupin23rd

lupin23rd Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I totally agree it was kind of a silly line of thought. I tend to be a very reserved person so even though I as fairly sure the shoulders were off, I felt I needed that extra bit of validation or confirmation to have he confidence to have that chat with the sales rep.

In any event, I did go back to the store today and had the chat with my rep, and after some measurements and comparisons with a previous jacket (that turned out well), we determined there was indeed a difference in the shoulder measurement that was above tolerance and it will be taken care of, so kudos to those guys for taking care of me.

Guess all that reading of styleforum and others paid off :)

2. Doc4

Doc4 Senior member

:slayer:

I'm sure the original store ... seems like you are something of a regular customer if you have "your rep" ... or even if you have just shopped there twice .... would be glad of an opportunity to turn a customer into a happy customer. Some of my favourite places to shop are ones that screwed something up, and when I mentioned the screw-up were speedy and courteous in fixing it ... so I KNOW that they take care of mistakes and problems in a good way.

3. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Does anybody have experience with Martin Fisher Tailors? He seems to be doing MTM and (I think) bespoke for what looks like reasonable prices. For a city that lacks these services the presence of a decent maker would really help.

4. yoshiwaan

yoshiwaan Active Member

@AdamWill Must be about the weather to get that Modernise suit back out. Let's have a look if you have some pictures!

Has anyone been to Can America for a shirt?

5. hasin1345

hasin1345 New Member

please dont go to Seville tailors in Burnaby i went to a tailor in downtown called savile row tailors on Robson and Thurlow and he makes suits and also has very affordable suits imported from italy for under 600 dollars he is the best tailor i have ver met and will be honest with u. please check him out

6. endless402

endless402 Senior member

any recommendations on a place that does good alterations on suits? need to do buttonholes and let out the back a bit.

oakridge tailors are good but looking for alternatives

anyone else? preferably downtown vancouver

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  7. facet

facet Senior member

As far as I know, Modern Tailors can do button holes and are in chinatown.

8. yoshiwaan

yoshiwaan Active Member

I think it's Modernize. They're the only tailor with a proper button hole machine in Vancouver AFAIK.

I think it's a bit unknown as to what state of retirement all the fellows are at as they're getting on but I think they're still open.

9. endless402

endless402 Senior member

Went to modernize. They hired a young girl who was learning.
    They were charging 200 for hemming, pant waist, button holes on sleeves, sleeve shortening and suit jacket waist trimming...

That was more than I expected coming from a person who was still training

10. Doc4

Doc4 Senior member

11. facet

facet Senior member

Yeah, you're right. I had a brain fart on the name. I'd heard the same thing about the buttonhole machine being the only one in Vancouver as well but wasn't entirely certain. Just seemed a little odd to me.

12. PJShep

PJShep Active Member

Got pleats removed at Simdy's on Davie St. Fred did a fantastic job for a hundred bucks...no darts.:nodding:

13. pwc008

pwc008 Active Member

Respectfully, that is a good price.

14. missile

missile New Member

I'm not sure if anyone's tried Main Tailor (it's on main street). It may or may not be the same place as "May Sun" tailors mentioned earler in the thread -- May Sun apparently used to exist at the same address (3673 Main).

I went in there to order a shirt. The owner seems to be an affable man. I picked out some cotton broadcloth, which seemed fairly nice. I asked what the thread count was, but I may have been asking the wrong way -- I said "you know. like 100s, 120s, etc." He told me that this was only for wool. At which point I let the matter drop, since I liked the feel of the fabric well enough. Also, I may have been asking the wrong way -- I assumed that it's pronounced "one-hundred-ess", but maybe it's pronounced "one-hundreds"? (I'm new at this.)

The workmanship on the finished shirts that he had in the shop looked quite nice to me, so I'm optimistic. The options available seemed to be fairly standard for MTM shirts:

1. Several collar types: point, semi spread, spread, cutaway. I think five in total.
    2. Placket, french placket, no placket.
    3. Pocket or none.
    4. Tapered fit or not.

There might be some options that I'm missing.

I tried to ask if the collars are fused or not; here again, I may have asked the question the wrong way, because he didn't seem to know what I meant. But he did tell me that the collar would be stiffer than mine (I was wearing a shirt from Ratio, my previous foray into MTM, which has a fused collar.) So I infer that this will be a fused collar. Which is fine with me, I was more curious than anything else.

Anyway, I like the guy, and notwithstanding some miscommunications, I'm optimistic about the place.

The price for my shirt was 140, and I'm told it'll be ready in three weeks. I hope to post pics then.

15. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Suggestions on a place to go for crotch blowout repair for a pair of jeans?

16. infinidox

infinidox Well-Known Member

Dredging up an old thread (and a 1-post user), but I was hoping to hear about how the experience was at Main Tailors (from Missile or anyone else). I live just down the street and am curious about his work.

17. jermyzy

jermyzy Active Member

Any recommendations for a local tailor in vancouver for MTM/bespoke sportscoat? I tried another local tailor and the results were horrendous. Doing a little searching and Balsam Tailors looks promising, but wondering if you guys have any recommendations. I use Oakridge tailors for my alterations bu they don't do MTM any more. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  18. pineappleguy16

pineappleguy16 Active Member

Hi all, any recommendations for a bespoke suit in Vancouver? I am interested in getting one made for my wedding next year thanks!

19. HolemanN

HolemanN Member

Off the top of my head, Blair Shapera and Martin Fisher Tailors both offer "bespoke/custom" options on top of their MTM.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  20. driving glove

driving glove Well-Known Member

I had a nice jacket made at Tai Pan Tailor on West Broadway, fully canvassed, but it took a few months. Worth the wait in my opinion.