1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good tailor in Vancouver?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by office drone, Sep 16, 2006.

1. mossey3535

mossey3535 New Member

I'm in the same boat as boostedwagon. I have a 100% cashmere jacket handed down from a relative. The shoulders and chest fit well and the overall length is right. But it's quite baggy - if I pull it over it makes a double breasted!

Is this worth altering, and if so who would you guys trust to do it?

2. AdamWill

AdamWill Senior member

boosted: mossey: read back through the thread, and most of the recommendations still apply. Oakridge is a pretty safe choice, there are some others mentioned. edit: btw, your heritage piece is someone else's thrift store job - I got my Harris tweed sport coat from a vintage store for $60 :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  3. boostedwagon

boostedwagon New Member

Has anyone used Frank at Paul Minichiello's shop in North Vancouver recently? That was one of the only North Shore recommends I could find.

4. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

That's actually very reasonable (MTM) and I will be calling him tomorrow.

5. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

Let me know how it goes.

Will probably be my next MTM suit in about a years time.

6. AdamWill

AdamWill Senior member

yeah, I'd love to see pictures of the results - I'm happy with my HK tailor but it'd be great to have a good local option too...

7. AdamWill

AdamWill Senior member

just to abuse this as a Vancouver thread - if anyone's interested, DT Winners has a size 46 3-roll-2 Brioni navy suit for I think $800.

8. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Just got back from my fitting with him. Really nice guy, absolutely no pressure... dissuaded me from opting for a more expensive fabric when the less expensive fabric would suffice. In and out in around 30 or so minutes. Worked out to $78x.xx after tax with a 2-3 week turnaround time.

I will reserve judgement until I see the final product and see what his after-sale support is like (in terms of alterations, etc), but I am optimistic that he will be my go-to MTM guy going forward.

9. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

Glad to hear everything worked out and I'm happy the price remained similar to the price I was quoted.
    Definitely keep us up to date.

If I had known about him a couple years back I would have skipped my Indochino suit at $500 and got one from him!

10. AdamWill

AdamWill Senior member

Oh, a bit of news - Minichiello's has closed, I believe. The coach up to Cypress Mountain drives by it, and last time I went up there I noticed a whole bunch of FOR LEASE signs in Minichiello's window, and their sign had come down. Sad news, I guess? If anyone's a customer, maybe they've heard about the business moving or something, all I know is what I saw from the window.

edit: http://www.shopnorthvancouver.com/minichiellos/ suggests they've just moved up the street to #101-118 East 2nd Street.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  11. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

No photos (yet), but I just got back from checking out my suit and Blair hit a homerun grandslam. Perfect blend of classic and modern styling (slim but not overly slim) and I could not be more satisfied with the result. You know you have a good tailor on your hands when your MTM suit comes back and you don't require a single alteration (except for hemming the pants). His suits may be a couple of hundred bucks more than Indochino or those other online MTM companies, but it's well worth it when you factor in that the suits are made in Canada and he's going to get it right the first time.

Highly recommended!

12. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Senior member

Tried to search this thread but nothing comes up recently so my apologies if I missed it.

Looking for a good place to get some dress shirts taken in (chest/waist), need to slim them about 4 inches around. Currently the shirts are 48 1/2" actual chest and I fit 44" or so much better.

Thanks!

13. ThatGuy604

ThatGuy604 New Member

I took a suit into Oakridge Tailors a few days ago. The guy was friendly enough and seemed to know what he was talking about. Turnaround time was a month. Really the work only takes a few days but they had a 3 week wait. I booked my time and will drop my suit off there at the end of them month to get tailored. Prices were about 75 to slim the jacket, 25 for the waist, 30ish each to reduce the rise and slim the legs.

14. Doc4

Doc4 Senior member

I've had lots of good work done at Oakridge. They are very busy, so yes, there IS a waiting time.

15. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

That's awesome, glad to hear that Blair really is a class act like everyone claims.

I'm excited to find out that they are still made in Canada!
    Do you know where is it cut and sewn in particular? Somewhere locally? in Vancouver? or is it sent out?

Thanks for the great updates?
    Maybe a few shots of your finished suit?

16. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I have a vintage tuxedo I need altered - want a little waist added to the dinner jacket, and the seat let out in the pants. Any ideas on tailors who are good with formal wear? I might also need some slight alteration to my vintage morning coat.

Has anyone done MTM through Dunn's on Granville? My dad's thinking of using them. Sorry if the question has already been answered - I tried to read most of the 32 pages, but skimmed a fair bit.

17. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Senior member

I've used Dunn's many times for suits, shirts, trousers and an overcoat.

i'm awaiting a blazer and 2 pairs of trousers I should get next week.

They can do MTM for suits from Cohen at the low end to Jack Victor, Coppley and Samuelsohn at the high end - all made in Canada.

They have a tailor on-site, so they may even entertain your tuxedo alterations, if you go in with your father (but I can't guarantee that).

18. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

How do you find the overall appearance, quality, durability, and value?

19. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Senior member

I've been happy with all of my commissions.

As I said, they have a range of manufacturers to choose from, so you'd have to decide which price point vs. quality you were comfortable with.

20. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Dunn's was on the lower end of the prices they were looking at; they were looking between that and Brooks Bros, though at Dunn's they had no samples to try on from any of the manufacturers - or at least didn't show us any.