• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Tailor in Richmond, VA

meauounji

Reaction score
Anyone know of a real good tailor in Richmond, VA? One that charges reasonable prices and is a good communicator. I usually take my stuff to a Korean guy who, although reasonably priced and well skilled, can't barely speak a lick of English, which makes complex alterations or very specific requests... difficult.

Thanks!

ferry1950

Reaction score
Best tailor is Zim on Patterson ave on the right before you get to Libby.
Expensive,old world, bad tempered, but very good.
ghw

meauounji

Reaction score
When you say expensive, what do you mean, exactly? For example, if I have a jacket that needs the back, backsides and sides (all five of the alterable seams taken in) plus a little bit of sleeve work, what would that cost?

I guess my biggest question is, will he do what you ASK him to, even against his own opinion? I really don't mind paying what ultimately isn't a lot of money if I get what I want and he does a good job. My style is a little bit more contemporary, slim fitting, that type deal, so I find some tailors looking at me really weird when I say, "it's too big, take in more."

ferry1950

Reaction score
What you are asking sounds like a big job, as you are taking in all five seams of the coat.
I do not know what Zim may charge. My advice is to take the coat to him, have him apprise the job and ask for his cost estimate.
To me, as you indicated in your post, it is all about the chemistry between you and your tailor, accountant, shirtmaker, fill in the blank provider.
Zim is good at what he does, and I beleive he will give you his opinion on what you are asking him to do, both good and bad.
Good luck, hope it works out,
ghw

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
Vincent's at 5811 Grove Avenue is another option. Vincent is an Italian gentleman of a certain age - his son has joined the business.

I use them for everything straightforward - sleeves, hem/cuffs, waist.

The one time I needed an odd jacket completely re-worked in the manner you describe - I took it to William Field in DC - but only because he was in the process of making something for me and it was convenient to have him also do the alteration project at the same time - otherwise I would have used Vincent.

meauounji

Reaction score
Ferry, I find it interesting that you consider altering those five seams to be a big job. I guess it's maybe because I've almost always had at least 4 of the 5 seams (usually forgoing the back) altered whenever I get a new jacket to get the shape I want.

It's happening even more nowadays when my taste in shoulder width is changing. I used to really like the really small, overly tight shoulders (gasp!), but now I'm moving back to the more traditional look, and am finding that I need to size up my suits, which cause a problem in the body. (I'm a 38-40R depending on the fit, btw)

I like how one of the things you remember most about Zim (*giggle* that's a really funny name to me for some reason) is that he's bad tempered.

Virginia, having said all that, would you still recommend Vincent for what is apparently a bigger job than just the basics? Though you say that you've never had him do complex jobs for your, no?

wrightfit

Reaction score
For my fellow RVA dwellers thanks for the tip, I currently have a suit at Vincent's getting trimmed. I'll post the results.

wrightfit

Reaction score
Vincent's did a good job on the suit jacket. I had the waist slightly taken in on one side and added length to the sleeves. I'm not too pleased with the pants hemming result. I'll probably try and get them slimmed from the knee down b/c they just don't hang right. I think in all I paid $75-$80.

pnewelljr

Reaction score
If I buy a J.Crew shirt in Small, it fits my shoulders and neck perfect but is too big around the waist, but is I get an XSmall it is too tight on the neck and shoulders, but it fits my waist. I am looking someone who can take in the waist for a very slim fit on some shirts. The armholes will also probably need to be raised. Who is a younger, trendyish taylor I could go to in Richmond?

Also, about how much will this cost? If I buy a MTM shirt it will be about $100. If I buy a JCrew shirt with my student discount, it will be around $59, if it costs less or the same in the end, I would rather have a JCrew shirt for the look and quality.

Last edited:

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I buy a J.Crew shirt in Small, it fits my shoulders and neck perfect but is too big around the waist, but is I get an XSmall it is too tight on the neck and shoulders, but it fits my waist. I am looking someone who can take in the waist for a very slim fit on some shirts. The armholes will also probably need to be raised. Who is a younger, trendyish taylor I could go to in Richmond?

Also, about how much will this cost? If I buy a MTM shirt it will be about $100. If I buy a JCrew shirt with my student discount, it will be around $59, if it costs less or the same in the end, I would rather have a JCrew shirt for the look and quality.

I don't think a younger, trendy tailor exists in Richmond - not a big enough city to have a tailor like that. I go to Vincent's on Grove and Libbie. They do phenomenal work, though they're a bit expensive; however, I'm willing to pay their prices because they do things right and treat their customers well.

I can't imagine a J.Crew shirt is that big in the waist. I own plenty of J.Crew shirts and find that they're plenty slim in the waist. Also, be careful about raising the armholes too much. It can throw off how the shirt lays on your back and make for an uncomfortable, awkward fit.

Lastly, if you up your price you can get a custom shirt at Creery for about $150. I haven't had a shirt made there (I've always wanted to), but I've heard good things, handled their shirts, and am impressed with the quality.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads